• Advertisement

I found my vibration

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

I found my vibration

Postby geeves » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Ever since I lifted my truck 4 years or so ago Ive been plagued by a vibration that I couldnt track down. Flat road 100kph good as gold but lift off slightly and the hounds of huskiville enter the cabin from underneath the rear end. Cruising 80kph and it comes and goes as it pleases. I had been over everything with a rubber mallet trying to recreate the noise but no joy.
Enter xmas 2017 and my other car splits a radiator 1 day before jumping on the ferry. Quick panic Even quicker sump replacement thats a totally unrelated story and the Bighorn got a 3000km road trip. Get from Picton to Lake Hawea and I had a noise that needed to be checked. Found that last time I went 4wding I had forgotten to unlock the front hubs and the cv rubbers were squawking but also touched the front u joint on the rear drive shaft and burnt the skin off my finger. Got to Cromwell where we were staying and borrowed a grease gun from the Bridgestone tyre shop and regreased the joint. The rear joint was non greasable. Hoping that would hold together but it did. However by Blenhiem it was quite clunky at low speeds. Checked the driveshaft when back in Wellington. Rear joint sloppy as. Had a spare good driveshaft so swapped it . The person that designed that harmonic balancer on the gearbox had a sense of humor. Checked the old shaft. Front joint was firm but rough when you moved it. Rear joint loose and rough. rthese must of been partially siezed for some time. Went for a drive and quickly noticed no vibration no matter how I tried to force it to happen.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: I found my vibration

Postby stardog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:32 am

The tail shaft dampener wheel is called a inertia wheel I had one on my 1994 mu it was flogged out priced 1 around $ 600 I just cut all the rubber of it and left the metal plate haven't had a problem with it since.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: I found my vibration

Postby geeves » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am

Only problem I had with mine was that the inner metal ring shrouds the driveshaft bolts. Only tool I had that would get the bolts was a 3/8 drive Powerbuilt 14mm socket and even that jammed a few times. Ring spanner will work if the each bolt is in a very specific point 1 at a time. The real issue was u joints not the dampner
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension