• Advertisement

4wd not working

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4wd not working

Postby 17brno » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi all i have a 96 bighorn lotus 3.1 diesel 5 speed manual with locked hubs ,the problem i have is i can put it into 4wd low or hi but the 4wd light dosnt come on and there is no output at the front wheels
Any help would be appreciated cheers Ivan
17brno
Isuzu Baby

City: Tauranga
Vehicle: Isuzu bighorn 92,Isuzu bighorn 96 lotus

Re: 4wd not working

Postby K1WIGUY » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello, I've got a similar problem but I've got a 94 Mu that used to have auto hubs that have been changed to manual before I brought it. The 4wd light comes on but no drive goes to the front wheels. I've checked the hubs and they are engaging. My front diff has some contraption which has vacuum lines or something going into it and a couple of plugs. They all look wet but I can't tell what it is. Any help as to why I'm not getting drive will be awesome as I dont like being towed. Cheers
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:09 pm

If the 4wd light comes on this should indicate that device is working,.
First test engine on 4wd neutral lift front left wheel and try and turn it. First try hubs unlocked.
You should be able to turn the wheel whith nothing else happening.
Lock the left hub
Now the left cv will turn and either the right cv will turn the other way or the driveshaft will turn
lock both hubs
now all rotation should go to the driveshaft
Put wheel back on ground
now reach under and try and turn driveshaft by hand
It should not turn
Unlock hubs
It should turn but you may have to try turning both ways a couple of times before it does
let us know how it goes
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby K1WIGUY » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Hello, I've jacked the each wheel up while the engine is on and in neutral and turned the wheel with the hub engaged and the CV turns on that wheel but it doesn't turn the other cv or drive shaft even with the other sides hub engaged or disengaged. I've tried this on both sides and the same thing happens. I've put the rear axle on axle stands and I can turn the front drive shaft but no front CVs turn. When I turned it back on the rear wheels started turning slowly even though it was in 4wd neutral. If you held them they would stop. The front drive shaft was also turning but the CVS didn't. Where to from here? Thanks
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Postby K1WIGUY » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:33 pm

Also when the rear was on stands I turned one wheel and the other side turned the same way. I thought the other side should turn the opposite way...?
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

Postby turnturn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Kiwi, in the rear you either have an LSD or some other sort of traction aid. If LSD from the factory you will have a G80 code on the ID/build plate.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension