• Advertisement

4wd not engaging

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4wd not engaging

Postby Chasen0211 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:59 pm

Holden rodeo 2.8 td 2000 4wd not engaging will engage into low ratio though and 4wd light not coming up. drive sharft is turning out of transfer case put not turning wheels
Chasen0211
I'm only here for the information

City: Stratford
Vehicle: Holden rodeo 2000 2.8td

Re: 4wd not engaging

Postby geeves » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Do you have a housing on the left side of the front diff?
If so with engine running in idle and 4wd lift the front left wheel and try and turn the wheel by hand. If you can look at what the cv is doing. If the cv is not turning the problem is the cv of hub flange plate. If it is the problem is either the dog clutch inside the housing the electrinic circuitry that drives this or most likely a vacume issue to this box. There should be a vac resivoir further back on the chassis. This is a good place to start tracing the vacume
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Tf Rodeo is just basic front diff, so if front drive shaft is turning it will be a 4x4 hub, cv, or crown wheel and pinion in the diff
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby K1WIGUY » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Hello, this sounds like the same problem that I'm having but in a 96 Mu that used to have auto hubs but was changed to manual hubs and not getting drive to the front wheels. Are these diff ok as I have a Lokka in the shed I want to fit or should I put it in my old basic diff? Cheers
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Te diff heads are the same but double check the ration. It will be 4.3 of 4.56 and must be the same as the rear diff.
As you have manual hubs its easy to check things.
put car in neutral engine off 2wd hubs unlocked wheels on ground
Check you can turn the front driveshaft by hand. 1 cv will also turn
lock that hub and repeat
other cv should turn but original should not
lock both hubs and repeat
driveshaft should not turn
If any of these fail they should point towards the faulty hub cv or diff.
I have seen lots of manual hubs siezed or installed incorrectly so they dont work.
Are they Asin or something else?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby K1WIGUY » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Turning the front driveshaft doesn't make the cvs turn on either side. Engage on hub and turn the wheel turns that sides cv but not the other side or drive shaft. Same if you do the other side. The hubs are Aisin... thanks
K1WIGUY
Isuzu Baby

City: Westport
Vehicle: 96 Mu 3.1 manual. 32" Maxxis Bighorns, 40mm spring lift plus extended shackles, MCC winchbar with 12000lb winch and led spot lights, Barlight across windscreen. Front Lokka.

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension