• Advertisement

Auto Gearbox Replacement.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Auto Gearbox Replacement.

Postby nine3zero » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Hey All.

I apologise if this question has been asked previously, i could not find any info in my searching.

I have a 92 2.8 MU with Auto thats shot, Can i bolt in a MU 3.1 Auto in without any issues or do i need to change bellhousing / drive shafts or anything else? Has anyone here done this? If not is there any other vehicles in Australia with the same box, I have never seen a 2.8 rodeo with an Auto. I have thought of the manual conversion but looks like some work.

Much appreciative of any info / help..

Cheers
nine3zero
Isuzu Baby

City: Canberra
Vehicle: 1994 MU

Re: Auto Gearbox Replacement.

Postby tonkamu » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:48 pm

Don't think that would work as a bolt on, because 3.1 has an ECU and 2.8 mu's don't. The 2.8 mu auto box is all mechanical. That's from what I understand, greeves or someone will know.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby Brinky » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Your right tonkamu. The Mu 3.1 auto trans cannot be fitted into a 2.8 without bringing over the wiring harness and ECU. I have heard its a very messy project. I'm also sure the transmissions are different lengths.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby nine3zero » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks Guys... Anyone got a 2.8l one for me? Or a Goose that lays Golden Eggs?
nine3zero
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:54 pm

There is a mu auto getting wrecked in Brisbane on gumtree don't know what year it is might be worth a look.
I'm in the process of deciding to take the manual gear box out of my 94 mu and put it in my wizard yet im about to wreck the mu if the I cant get the engine running right I will know next week when I take the head off it.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby nine3zero » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:33 am

stardog wrote:There is a mu auto getting wrecked in Brisbane on gumtree don't know what year it is might be worth a look.
I'm in the process of deciding to take the manual gear box out of my 94 mu and put it in my wizard yet im about to wreck the mu if the I cant get the engine running right I will know next week when I take the head off it.

Thanks, couldn't seam to find that one on Gumtree, starting to think of manual conversion, will have to wait till i have more time, Cheers
nine3zero
Isuzu Baby

Postby stardog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:50 am

here's the link it looks like a 94 mu https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/salisbu ... 1202334822

What's wrong with your auto have you had a transmission place have a look at it might just need a good service.

If you go the manual conversion make sure you get all the parts you need to do it first .
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby nine3zero » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 am

Thanks Stardog, Yep keeping my eye out for a complete manual rodeo [or MU], but the 2.8 rodeos are hard to come by. I bought this Mu for body spares for my 94 Mu but on closer inspection its way too good to wreck, the Auto was not going when i bought it [no forward gears] and haven't had it looked at. I asked the question because i was offered the 3.1 box and wanted to grab it for when i have time to fix the mu. Cheers for your help.
nine3zero
Isuzu Baby

Postby lovetohate » Thu May 02, 2019 12:33 pm

I have a complete running auto here in Sydney along with a spare. Pm me for some more details.
lovetohate
I'm only here for the information

City: NSW
Vehicle: Isuzu MU

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension