• Advertisement

Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Postby TimboTheKiwi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:18 am

I have a 96 UCS69 Wizard 4JG2.

Recently the PS system has been doing some weird things. About 2 weeks ago I noticed a minor sound similar to that of low ps fluid. I opened up the ps reservoir and it was virtually full. I topped it up a little anyway. A couple of days later I noticed the sound returning and some fluid (I assumed the extra I had added) coming out of the top of the reservoir. Inspecting the reservoir I noticed a small relief hole which they must have designed should the fluid level exceed that of the reservoir, I am assuming. I looked for bubbles for a clue of air entering the system but couldn't really see any. I checked around the low pressure side of the hoses for any leaks or cracks and cannot see any. I put my head down by the steering box for any sign of leaks and cannot see any. The pump has been rebuilt in the last 6 months so can't imagine anything there being a issue.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? I guess the next logical thing to do would be perhaps removing and inspecting the steering box...?

Cheers in advance!
TimboTheKiwi
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD

Re: Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:38 pm

Is the fluid pink or red? Pink will be suspended air and a leaky pump the most probable cause
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2004 Honda CRV

Re: Power steering problem - UCS69 Wizard

Postby andy120 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:29 am

Last time we had that issue, it was the pump. the vanes and housing were damaged. Getting the steering box out is a real pain if you don't have a pitman arm puller.
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension