• Advertisement

Torque converter lockup switch

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Torque converter lockup switch

Postby Mika4455 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Is it possible to fit a torque convertor lockup switch to an Aisin Warner 30-80le transmission .....
Mika4455
Isuzu Baby

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: Isuzu mu 92

Re: Torque converter lockup switch

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:24 pm

Yes
Now to qualify that. The lockup is controlled by the ecu via a wire in the loom. Cutting into this wire ant fitting a switch will lock up the converter. Do remember that if the converter is locked when the auto changes gear pieces of the auto will be left on the road. You must also do something to ensure the auto cannot change gear while locked. I had an idea in my head for when the wizard becomes my off road vehicle to build a lockout switch into the selector so manual lockout can only happen in first but this wont work as the gearbox will not change into first until the speed is low enough so it will still be possible to be in second (refer parts of auto on road) I though about setting it when the handbrake applied but then it would stall. My head started to hurt so I gave up about here
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

There was a thread somewhere in the old forum (I had a bit of a look and can't find it off hand) about someone working out the wiring and making their auto into a manual with a series of switches. Someone else might know where it is or remember a bit more about it
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Its not hard to work out but does not solve the lock up converter while keeping a true auto. There is also a manual valve body available that does the same thing.
We need to qualify the question as the only time you would need the manual lockup is on a steep descent. Then you only need it in first. Alternatively you can use the more widly accepted technique sometimes known as left foot braking. This is where at the top of the hill you apply the brake with left foot then without releasing the brake accelerate with the right foot so you overdrive the brake. A search on google will find the finer points and it takes lots of practice
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mika4455 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:15 am

thanks for the great info geeves. looks to me as you said its more of a headeache than its worth. im better off just getting out there and having a go at this brake and accelerator method you speak off.
Mika4455
Isuzu Baby

City: Melbourne
Vehicle: Isuzu mu 92

Postby Brinky » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:29 am

I think I will have a go of installing a spring return left foot activated switch to activate the torque converter lock up for down hill descents. My 1991 MU with 30-80LE trans runs on a bit fast in 2nd low with the auto slipping, and 1st low can also be too fast for the nasty stuff on 32"tyres. Apparently the lock up clutch isn't very strong, but if it can handle 4th high going over the Bombay hills, it should be up to the job of turning the engine over going down hills.
It sounds like I will need a two pole relay. When the switch is pressed, one pole will send 12V to the lock up solenoid, and at the same time the second pole will trick the ECU so it sees the equivalent resistance of the solenoid so it doesn't set up a fault code. Mind you, my trans light is always flashing so I won't notice the difference.
Does anyone have any comments before I have a go at doing this? Thanks, and I will let you know how it goes.
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby geeves » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:27 pm

If I was going to do it I would see if I could get power from the 1 light on the dash even if this required a second relay. The idea is to make sure the lockup cannot happen unless first gear is selected. You dont want it changing gear while locked. Also talk to the 4wd rally guys they often manuallise auto boxes so might have a few pointers
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Brinky » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:56 am

Thanks Geeves. I will let you know when I have it connected and hopefully working. I'm not allowed to work on the Moo until the bathroom is finished!
Brinky
Isuzu Baby

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8l UCS55
Auto Trans, Inter-cooled, 2" Raised, Standard dump pipe with 2.5" exhaust, K&N filter, Snorkel, Raised Trans and Transfer Box with modified cross brace, Not lifted, 32 muds, Runva 9500 winch, disconnected sway bar, double air lockers

Postby geeves » Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:36 pm

I know that problem. Of course part b of that is when the complaints start about the unused car parts because you have been too busy in the bathroom to use them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension