• Advertisement

Swapping Auto Hubs to Manual...HELP

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Swapping Auto Hubs to Manual...HELP

Postby Mervin » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi all, Have been long time viewer and fan of this website but only joined today. Have had my Mu for about eight years, but only recently have pulled it out of storage and started using it for what it was made for. Before being put into storage i had an issue with hubs slipping / clicking when under bigger loads, had forgot about this until i went out 4X4 recently. Was worse than i remember slipping at easy challanges. I pulled apart the hubs today and could not find any broken or misplaced c clips or anything out of the ordinary and thought i would change to manual hubs while i was at it, from suggestions on this site they will be more reliable. I remember reading on the old forum a step by step instructions to do this and the correct hubs to use, but cannot locate this on the new site. On another thread someone mentioned hubs from rodeo or jackaroo 88 onwards. Has anyone done this conversion that can confirm this? Did you have any issues or problems, Has anyone had this problem, is this a solution?

Any help and / or advice to assist me with this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mervin
Isuzu Baby

City: Canberra
Vehicle: 94 3.1T MU

Re: Swapping Auto Hubs to Manual...HELP

Postby slightlydodgy » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby muzila » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I have done this conversion to manual hubs. I got mine of a MU and the splines are the same so no dramas.
Asians are the best to get. some other after market ones like superwinch need a small spacer. Stay away from ORC they are bad news.

If you get a second hand set from a wrecker or somthing you may want to clean them up and rebuild them. Its not hard. Heres a web site explains how...

http://www.off-road.com/offroad/Editori ... ryId=25213

Its generic but works with all asian hubs.

This site says the hubs are for a 4runner. It dont matter as the hubs are the same to rebuild. Just the spline is differant and not a worri provided to get the right hubs to start with. The pics are a lot clearer thats the good part about this site...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota-tr ... build.html
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby Mervin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:18 pm

Thanks advice Guys, am having trouble locating some second hand locally, will keep looking though, Cheers
Mervin
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Asin are best but only available second hand.(not entirely true Holden can get you new ones. Ask the price first but be sitting by the time they stop laughing) Superwinch and Warn are good enough. Someone got hold of some AVM which were ok but stick out a little far. All the rest are complete rubbish at any price
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Mervin » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Managed to locate a pair from a Rodeo and had them sent to me. After pulling the auto hubs apart and not ever playing with free wheeling hubs, i was a bit daunted with putting on the hubs when i hadn't pulled them off the donor vehicle. Thought i would supply some info for anyone thinking of doing the same. If you have done this or are familiar with hubs this will be common knowledge but this is aimed at anyone like myself with limited knowledge and a bit unsure. I had already pulled apart the auto hub, i had a look at the spline on the axle, my 94 MU had a 17 spline, i rang around the wreckers and found some, the donor vehicle was a 91 Rodeo, cannot confirm what fits what but i reckon if you get a 17 spline of Rodeo or Jackaroo around early 90,s you would be right. i told the wreckers i wanted every bolt nut washer and c clip down to the wheel bearing, as i did not know if any parts were interchangeable with the auto hubs. As it turns out make sure you get all the bolts and the c clip and small washer/spacer that fit to the end of the axle.[this is not used on the auto hubs but my axle still had the groove for it] The free wheeling hubs are very simple in comparison to the auto hubs, Unlike the auto hubs that you need to disassemble completely to remove, the free wheel hubs come off the vehicle in two parts and go back on as easily. I was not going to pull them apart to rebuild them as suggested but after looking at them thought i would give it a go. This is very easy and defiantly worth while, do not need a step by step at all, if you take note how they come apart they are easy to clean up, re grease and reassemble. The longest part was waiting for the paint to dry! A couple of things to note....when removing the free - lock dial from the housing be aware of the small ball bearing and spring. I tried to find gaskets with no luck so made my own which work fine. Putting them on the vehicle is straight forward, the only suggestion is when you put the c clip in last you need to pull the axle toward you as it floats in and out through the wheel bearing, before you start find a bolt that is the same thread as the inside of the axle[this will make sense when you look at the axle]. Have taken the Mu out yesterday and fairly stoked that it doesn't mesh, i would even say better than ever with traction in the eight years Ive had it. Even if your auto hubs are working i reckon this is a worth while mod.....
Mervin
Isuzu Baby

Postby muzila » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:09 am

good job. well done.

Its a nice sence of achevment when you tackle something and get it working by yourself.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension