• Advertisement

How to change front diff and gear oil?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

How to change front diff and gear oil?

Postby rcolijn » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Hi guys,

I am not a mechanic but do try some stuff every now and than (and get in trouble lol).

I changed the rear diff oil of my MU 2.8TD no worries, thats was as easy as possible.

Can't figure out how to drain the front diff tho, I have found the filler plug.
Same with the Transfer/gear box.

Any help would be appreciated!

For the rest, luv me Mu, will post some pics in Members Rigs soon.

Thanks guys!
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

City: Perth
Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Re: How to change front diff and gear oil?

Postby pig75 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:46 pm

there is a bolt with a copper washer at the bottom of the diff center. It's one that holds the center in
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Yarno » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:47 pm

You need to pull the bottom bolt on the drivers side with the copper washer on it to drain. It's one of the bolts that hold the diff centre in.

Edit: Typed too slow....
Last edited by Yarno on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby geeves » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:57 am

its a larger bolt than the rest
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rcolijn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Awesome guys, thats now done. I got thrown by not finding the outlet bolt, expecting a large one instead of a smaller one.

Is it normal that I had to put a bit of air pressure on the front diff to drain it? It just did not run out and I had to put the compressor on it.

So, thanks all, much appreciate your help!

ps, I started a Facebook page for "The awesome Isuzu Mu" and placed my photos on there if you wanna have a look at mine.
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Postby pig75 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:12 pm

rcolijn wrote:Awesome guys, thats now done. I got thrown by not finding the outlet bolt, expecting a large one instead of a smaller one.

Is it normal that I had to put a bit of air pressure on the front diff to drain it? It just did not run out and I had to put the compressor on it.

So, thanks all, much appreciate your help!

ps, I started a Facebook page for "The awesome Isuzu Mu" and placed my photos on there if you wanna have a look at mine.

As the oil is thick it will take a long time to run out cold
I think you need to edit some of the info on the facebook page 79-86? 89-96 but they were made into 2000+ I don't think there are any post 96 in Australia. There are also petrol versions
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:36 am

Diff oil is very thick when cold. You could try heating the diff by locking the front hubs then give it a 10km drive. (Not possible with auto hubs) or aiming a small heater at the diff (be carefull of fire risk) or just do as I do and pull the plug at night and refill in the morning.
Heating the tub of new oil in a bucket of hot water helps the refill as well
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rcolijn » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:42 pm

All done now, thanks guys, I did go for a 20k drive before I attempted everything but that obviously wasn't enough:) I now have to replace the washers as they are leaking a bit, no biggie tho.

Next up, the normal service of engine oil and filter, and maybe if I have money a better aitfiler, it just feels like she is struggling getting air. Maybe I'll make my own snorkel, anyone tried that?
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby cyberbeej » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm

yip, check out my snorkle.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=970
cyberbeej
Isuzu Baby

City: Dalry
Vehicle: 97' trooper, 3 inch lift, and 96' bighorn

Postby rcolijn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:20 pm

Thanks mate, thinking about roughly the same design, maybe give it a bit of colour:) Do you know if its possible (in a Mu) to fit the inside the mudguard, and than come up just before the window? I fancy a clean look and just a pipe sticking out just before thw window would look good me reckons...
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby rcolijn » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:23 pm

Thanks mate, like your design! I am thinking about roughly the same design, maybe give it a bit of colour:) Do you know if its possible (in a Mu) to fit the inside the mudguard, and than come up just before the window? I fancy a clean look and just a pipe sticking out just before thw window would look good me reckons...
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension