• Advertisement

top ball joints wont do up

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

top ball joints wont do up

Postby stardog » Tue May 25, 2010 6:40 am

Hi guys just put new ball joints in my mu the old one's took some getting out but now my top one's wont do right up properly tried tapping the top arm with big hammer when doing the bolt up stll wont go.
Should i have done the top one first or the bottom one or is there a trick to get it to do up with out breaking it or the rubbers on it.
Cheers stardog
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Re: top ball joints wont do up

Postby geeves » Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 am

Are you haveing problems lining it up or is the tapper turning in the hole?
If its lineing up then a jack under the lower arm should help. If its spinning then pushing down on a upper arm might help (always has for me) but make sure the mateing surfaces are clean of anything oily. I have heard of people putting grinding paste on these surfaces to make them grip but this would be a last resort.
Ive done 3 or 4 of the top joints without touching the bottom and the above has always worked
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Tue May 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Thanks geeves i put a jack under the bottom arm to lift it up to align it and takethe weight not a problem as i got the 4 bolts in the bottom ball joint first and with the cv on the hub as well.
Got the bolt on on and becuase i couldn't get a rattle gun on it with cv in the way done it up with 23 mm ring spanner but i still have about 1/4 " to go to sit it properly tapped the side like when you break it to take it out. i just cant get it to do up any more it was very tight to take the old one out. so should i get a bar over the spanner for leaverage and just give it to it just didn't wont to break the joint cost to much money .
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby stardog » Tue May 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Should of explained im worried about stripping the thread on ball joint if i try and use to much force doing it up.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Got you now. It sounds like the taper on the new joint is slightly larger than the old one. The 4 small bolts are 24 foot pound the large nut is 72.3 foot pound +- 7.2
As long as the taper is most of the way through then it should be fine. If there is not enough thread to get the nut all the way on the joint is faulty so take it back
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 pm

The old originals had grease nipples on them the ones from pedders dont. Top joint part number BJ-203 and lower number PBJ-282. hope this helps i will measure the width on taper to make sure when i get a chance about to bucket down rain at the moment.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Tue May 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Most of the aftermarket joints dont have nipples.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension