• Advertisement

How to remove tailshaft.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

How to remove tailshaft.

Postby mini696 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 am

I am having trouble removing my tailshaft on a 1998 Rodeo. Access to the flange bolts on the uni joint closest to the center bearing is extremely limited to the point where I cannot undo them at all.

I assume if I unbolt the center bearing and the rearmost uni joint I should be able to slide out the whole assembly from the transmission back. Is this correct?

The manual says I need to plug the transmission after the tailshaft is removed. Is this really necessary?

Can anyone give me their tip on this process.
mini696
I'm only here for the information

City: Gladstone
Vehicle: Rodeo TFR7 1998 Dualcab

Re: How to remove tailshaft.

Postby pig75 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:20 pm

mini696 wrote:I assume if I unbolt the center bearing and the rearmost uni joint I should be able to slide out the whole assembly from the transmission back. Is this correct?
Yes
The manual says I need to plug the transmission after the tailshaft is removed. Is this really necessary?
Only if you haven't drained the oil out of the gearbox
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Mon May 31, 2010 3:55 pm

Not sure on the layout of the Rodeo but on the bighorn with a 2.5 inch exhaust the only way to get the driveshaft out is to undo the bracket on the center bearing undo the rear u joint slide out of the gearbox flange (your rodeo might have a flange hear as well) slide back as far as it will go then slide forwards and to the left to get out. The transfer case wont leak while standing but it fair spews out while driving as the gears through the oil around. I had to take the shaft out of mine split the shaft at the bearing in a campground and refit the front half so I could drive 120km in front wheel drive to get a replacement u joint
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mini696 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:09 pm

Many thanks. I ended up taking it out this afternoon by basically doing as you suggested. The case did leak a bit, but not as much as the manual suggested.

Replacing the uni went fairly smoothly.
mini696
I'm only here for the information

City: Gladstone
Vehicle: Rodeo TFR7 1998 Dualcab

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension