• Advertisement

oil change ,manual gearbox ,diffs etc

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

oil change ,manual gearbox ,diffs etc

Postby mokomoa911 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi, i,m after some info for replacing oil/fluids in our 94 turbo mu 200kms..
I,m pretty sure i can handle the engine oil and filter change., not sure whether i should give her a flush 1st however??
Also the gearbox seems a bit sticky at times, and i think there is a slight whineing sound when driving :? .
I,ve tried bleeding the clutch fluid to see if it would fix the sticking gears, but no joy.( seems to be sticking when stationary and putting it in 1st or reverse??)
Do you think a oil flush/change will help?? We have owned her for @5yrs and unsure when last done.
Same for transfer case?? (not sure what this even is :o ??) And what to do for the diffs etc??

She has been used for towing the boat etc with a few beach launches here and there, so pretty keen to make sure the maintanence (sp) is kept up,

Well there goes,
Not too much to ask on the 1st post is it :shock: :shock: :roll:

Great site by the way,
And yes i used the search function before posting this... just no joy unfortunately :(
mokomoa911
Isuzu Baby

City: kaitaia
Vehicle: isuzu mu

Re: oil change ,manual gearbox ,diffs etc

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:53 am

I hope Im misreading the time from last oil change. Esspecialy for the engine. Engine oil needs to be changed every 5000km without fail. According to the book the oil filter should be done every 15000 but most do it more often than that. Its fun to get at. Same for fuel filter. Use good quality diesel engine oil.
Gearbox and transfer case are easy to do and its quite possible the last owner put the wrong oil in. You need the same sae grade as the engine ie 15w40 but get the cheapest oil you can lay your hands on. The good oils have anti friction stuff in them that stops the synchros working properly. different oil will fix.
Diffs use hypoid oil in the front and back unless you have an lsd in which case lsd for the back. Lsd oil is ok in a normal diff as well but costs a little more
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby mokomoa911 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks very much Alan.
Last oil change was @ 5000kms mark. I,m pretty keen to do all above mentioned myself if possible.., however i wander whether just quicker and easier to take it to a garage?? possible cost??
Anyhow do i need to replace any gaskets/ crush washers? oil seals etc? And are the diffs easy to do?
Cheers for the help.
mokomoa911
Isuzu Baby

Postby mokomoa911 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Big edit. too many beers sorry :D
mokomoa911
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 pm

Garages are 60+ an hour and if they dont do a lot of these they will take as long as you do. I dont know your mechanical skills so will assume average. Oils are easy The only catches are the the drain on the front diff looks like a mounting bolt but is bigger than the rest and there are 2 drains and to fills on the gearbox/transfer case. I trust this is a manual trans. If auto use auto trans fluid dexron3. No gaskets or washers needed unless they leak. My sump washer is leaking now but it will wait till next change to fix
Oil filter is fun. Best way is to remove front wheel and the cover on inner guard and do it through there. Be carefull to make sure the old oring doesnt stick to the mount and that the new one seats well. dont overtighten but not loose either. Isuzus have a habit of loosening badly fitted filters. Expect the first filter to take half an hour or so but they get quicker when youve done a few. Ive done 12 on my wagon
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mokomoa911 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks very much m8.
Yes its a manual trans. Is there a book or service manuel That will help id the drain and fill points?, i.e, diff, gearbox, transferr etc??
Very keen to give it a go myself, just want to make sure i get it right 1st time.
Alan do you think this will improve the gearbox issues (sticking/whineing etc) ?
mokomoa911
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:50 pm

whineing possibly not. Sticking maybe
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mokomoa911 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:39 pm

Righto cheers for that, i,ll have a search for a online or book repair manual also.
Do you think i should drive and warm up the diffs gearbox etc prior to draining??
Is there any specific oils i should be buying?
Should i run a flush additive prior to refill??
Are there any specific repair manuals for this modell?

Really appreciate the help
mokomoa911
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension