• Advertisement

Reversing Lamp Switch

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Reversing Lamp Switch

Postby sanramonrover » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:26 pm

The reversing lamp switch on my '91 KB does not work. I replaced it with one from aTrooper, and took another one out of another North American pickup at a local wreckers. The switches all look the same and work the same.

When I replace the switch, it seems not to go far enough into the transmission case to be activated by something inside. On mine, I can insert a screwdriver about 2 inches (5cm) before it hits the reversing actuator. On vehicles in wrecking yards, I can only push it in 1 inch (2.5cm).

This problem has been present even before I bought the vehicle, so who know what the PO did to it?

So, is it possible to lose a pin or lever or whatever from inside the transmission which is supposed to actuate the reversing lamp switch?
1991 KB Diesel, 4 door, 4WD Pickup
sanramonrover
Isuzu Baby

City: calgary
Vehicle: 1991 KB Pickup

Re: Reversing Lamp Switch

Postby geeves » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Its possible that its never had it and although its not shown in the book I would guess its a gearbox stripdown to fix correctly.
If it were me I would fit a simple switch on the dash or a microswitch that acts on the gearlever and connect to that. Much easier just for a light
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby sanramonrover » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks geeves. I have done the switch on the dash as a temporary fix. In Costa Rica it is known as "tricking the trafficos"- because vehicles need an annual inspection to be relicensed.

I had wanted to 'do it right',, but hadn't thought about trying a micro switch on the gear lever. I often forget to put the back up light on when parking, causing mayhem behind me, then often forget to turn it off after pulling forward - again causing annoyance behind.
1991 KB Diesel, 4 door, 4WD Pickup
sanramonrover
Isuzu Baby

City: calgary
Vehicle: 1991 KB Pickup

Postby bozza72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:03 am

i have a small led light next to my switch so it shows a bright white light if left on.
bozza72
Isuzu Junior

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 2.8 Dt

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension