• Advertisement

Tortion bars/spring hanngers

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Tortion bars/spring hanngers

Postby steveNZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Hi all
Ok got question or two
Suspension mods are all new to me, I understand i can raise the front by cranking up my tortion bars, im under the impression that if i go to far then ill need to change some suspension components
1: How far can i raise the front on my ubs55 bighorn without the need to replace anything,
2: Will i need a wheel alignment if i do
3: How do i crank up the bars
Leaf springs
1: Ware is the best place to get bigger spring hangers(NZ)
2: What’s the approximate cost of hangers
3: Dose anyone have some second hand ones lying around

As always all info greatly appreciated

Steve
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: Tortion bars/spring hanngers

Postby geeves » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 pm

1 50mm from factory hight is the absolute max with nothing else done although a ball joint flip still helps with wheel alignment This is also the point that cv joints are getting under a little strain.
2 yes as soon as you touch hight the alignment changes
3 soak the large nut in your favourite enetrating oil every night for a week before starting. Disconect sway bar. Jack each side up and tighten nut the same number of turns each side. move back and forwards a few meters and measure. Adjust to level.Reconect swaybar if needed. It is possible you may run out of travel in which case you need to move the bar on the spline.
Ball joint flip Remove top ball joint place under A arm instead of on top and through. Rebolt Easy

1 Make your own 25x10mm steel with a center brace
2 ?
Personally I dont like extended shackles but they are a cheap option for a lift. They should be certified where at present a replacement spring with 50mm lift does not
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks Alan
tortion bars sound pretty straght forward fliping the balljoints not a problem
so i take it a replacement spring with 50mm lift isjust a spring with a greater amount of lift and just bolts straght on ?
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:33 am

Yup
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby steveNZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:23 am

Have had a bit of a search but not coming up with much on Isuzu 50mm lift leaf springs have sent a message to 4wd bits
Is there any ware else nz that might supply them ?

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I think most of these guys use lovells Ive just got heavy duty with extended shackles made by slightlydodgy inc
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby steveNZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:10 pm

shackles that the same as hangers forgive my lack on knowledge on this ?

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby turnturn » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Shackles/hangers, same thing.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby steveNZ » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks

slightlydodgy wrote:I think most of these guys use lovells Ive just got heavy duty with extended shackles made by slightlydodgy inc

Don’t rely have access to the tools to make some up, How would you feel about making me a set up ? and if so how much? send me a pm
Thanks

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby slightlydodgy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:13 am

I would but I dont have access to the drill press I used at the moment. There are several different patterns on here and places to get them heres the original thread for mine of the old forum http://clubisuzu.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Suspension&action=display&thread=66 I hope that this is some help
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby steveNZ » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:23 am

Thanks again
There’s a local guy retired now he’s a engineer and got all the kit i might see if i can talk him into making me some, looks pretty straight forward if you got the tools for the job

Steve

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension