• Advertisement

Doing a wheel bearing

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: Doing a wheel bearing

Postby 98Rodeo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:19 pm

It was fine once the head came off, was fairly easy to drill out, certainly wasn't high tensile, they may have been replaced before.
Isuzu shop has found me the bearing complete inner and outer for about 70 a side :-)
Going for another trip to the bolt shop to see what I can find.
I will get a picture of the problem soon and post it up... the rear bearing cage was dead, there was 7 bits of it missing and the 8 corresponding rollers were kinda flat.
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

City: Perth
Vehicle: 98 Turbo Diesel Rodeo Dual Cab

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Have a close look at the stub axle and the hub assembly for damage. I replaced the stub axle on mine as it had worn to the point there was always some play in the bearing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 98Rodeo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

I took the bearing "runs" out of the hub and off the stub axle, they will be replaced
stub axle itself looks good :-)
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

Postby 98Rodeo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Isuzu shop called me and they have the parts already :-).
Any useful tips for reasssembly to make things easier/better?
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm

In the hub the outer rings need to be taped out If they are loose then replace the hub section. On the stub axle the inner ring of the bearing is a snug but firm fit. If its too loose the bearing will always have play which will cause water to get past the seal. Any doubt replace it. Also look at the seal faces on the stub axle. They will need substantial cleaning but any wear on the seal running face is reason to replace the stub axle
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby 98Rodeo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:19 am

Threw it all together last night, All the stub axle seemed pretty good, no wear on it that I could notice, the rings were nice and snug. Used the bearing in a bag method to put the grese thru the bearings. hopefully will find bolts today and can finish putting it back together.
98Rodeo
Isuzu Master

Postby tonkamu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:05 pm

dragging up old thread instead of making a new one for a quick question. Replacing my front rotor's on my 2.8 as they are pretty rusted and on their last legs from being abused with 33's for awhile now. I've taken rotor and inner hub off the stub and I can't seem to split it to get the rotor off the inner hub? its pretty rusted. Tomorrow i'll take it in and use a press to get it off but I wanted to make sure the brake rotor disc is meant to slide off backwards off the inner hub by simply tapping it off?
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:15 pm

There is 6 14mm head bolts holding the disk to the hub, have you in done them? Should come off with a small tap of a hammer
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby tonkamu » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Yeah taken those bolts off and taken off the stub then used 2 blocks of wood to support disc then hit the inside hub with a wood and hammer no budge must have been on there awhile
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Previous

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension