• Advertisement

Auto to manual conversion

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Auto to manual conversion

Postby RyDog » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:04 pm

I spent a few hours on my back and came with the idea of ditching the auto in my '94 Bighorn.
Good idea?

Well it goes a hell of a lot better but will I get another WOF because of the wielding for the new cross member mounts 12 odd inches further forward?

Aside from all the stress in finding bits and bobs to match it all up, I got there and like the drive now but the question is......

HOW THE HELL DO I GET MY REVERSE LIGHTS TO WORK AND WHAT WIRES WILL LET ME TAKE THE KEY OUT??????

I managed to arrange the wires from the selector to start but that's it!

Any knowledge in this area would be a great help.
RyDog
I'm only here for the information

City: Wairarapa
Vehicle: 94 Bighorn

Re: Auto to manual conversion

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:23 am

Dont weld directly to the chassis Make an adapter mount If you weld the chassis you visit the certifier. The park switch was in the auto selector. Its just a microswitch. Short it out and the key will work. Reverse lights were another microswitch in the selector. Extend them to the switch on the gearbox
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:24 am

Also a few people are looking at this conversion. A full write up with pictures will be nice
thanks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby RyDog » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am

A little late for that, I was in a hurry so mocked up some plates in on they went.
I have 6months before the WOF runs out so hopefully I will be able to make something up before then.

Will do a write up soon when I have sorted out all the issues.
Thanks for the advice.

I tripped the selector wires but it won't let me have the key......
The reverse lights should work.
RyDog

City: Wairarapa
Vehicle: 94 Bighorn

Postby jellis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:58 pm

looks like im going to have to do the same thing if i cant work out this overdrive flashing light problem.
luckily there are a few threads about it and ive got a mate who has a scanner.
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

City: sydney
Vehicle: 1992 isuzu mu 2" lift all round
33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby dandaman187 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:44 pm

Jellis tha flashing overdrive light is a signal telling you something is wrong two things u can do is find the ecu connector and bridge the outer holes with a paperclip then whilst engine is stopped at running temp then turn on with clip in and watch the light it will give you a flashing code first sequence is tens followed by a slight pause then second sequence is ones fault codes can be found on a website i cant remeber the name but it is easy to find i wrote something on here before on it,
or unplug the actuel ecu and wait 3 minutes and plug back in that resets it becaus eany fault registered either now or in the past repaired or not will show up and maybe it is an repaired fault it think the website is called rennics.com anyway check that site out it explains everything
dandaman187
Isuzu Baby

City: Brisvegas
Vehicle: 1991 mu

Postby jellis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:59 pm

dandaman187 wrote:Jellis tha flashing overdrive light is a signal telling you something is wrong two things u can do is find the ecu connector and bridge the outer holes with a paperclip then whilst engine is stopped at running temp then turn on with clip in and watch the light it will give you a flashing code first sequence is tens followed by a slight pause then second sequence is ones fault codes can be found on a website i cant remeber the name but it is easy to find i wrote something on here before on it,
or unplug the actuel ecu and wait 3 minutes and plug back in that resets it becaus eany fault registered either now or in the past repaired or not will show up and maybe it is an repaired fault it think the website is called rennics.com anyway check that site out it explains everything

thanks for that i will have a look this arvo.
i just rang an auto shop and he recons it could cost me 1000's or it could be a really simple fix.
is the ecu connector in the drivers side kick pannel?

there seems to be alot of threads about this. wonder what every ones problems were
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 am

sorry to dig up an old thread but, my gear box is in now.
and i need to sort out the wiring any one have any pictures of what i need to connect and to where?
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm

out of all these problems the overdrive light flashing is the easy one. Its not needed any more so ditch the bulb. Problem gone.
Reverse lights are controlled by the old inhibitor switch It should be simple looking at the switch to work out which wire does what and hook the correct wire to the gearbox reverse light switch. The inhibitor switch it 2 parts on a meter long loom.
Not sure on the key thing It might be the inhibitor switch but might also of been a mechanical thing from the selector box
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby jellis » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:14 pm

unfortunatly i got rid of my wiring loom with the auto.
dont care about the flashing switch im hoping if i get a manual wiring loom and plug it in it will all work.
cheers, Josh
jellis
Isuzu Guru

33"x 12.5 federal's

Postby varnz10 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Geeves

what do you mean by makign an adaptor plare for the new gear box cross member? I am assuming you mean to make something that can be bolted to the chassis rather than welding it,....
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 Bighorn LWB Lotus LTD 2.8 4JB1-T 2.??? Suspension lift
4.5 LSD in the back
Aussie Lokka for the front on the wish list
Snorkel
2000 Holden Montery All standard

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 pm

I havnt seen what others have done but a heavy plate bolted to the xmember and supporting the rear mount of the gearbox
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Kevinpr33 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Hey guys I've just completed this conversion myself and mechanically the car is complete I'm try to bridge the park inhibitor device currently I have the loom from the little box with the microswitches plugged into its original position under the bonnet and the box with the micoswitches cut off as how I received it I also have the auto trans ecu plugged in I have a 94 4jg2 bighorn anyone know the colour of the wires I need to bridge I currently do not have a multimeter to test for continuity any help appreciated cheers
Kevinpr33

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1994 Isuzu bighorn ls 2 Swb turbo diesel

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension