• Advertisement

LSD Questions....

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Re: LSD Questions....

Postby isuzurob » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:41 pm

sounds good, removing swaybar does help mine certed without one which is good, you can also weld the front diff alot cheaper but makes the steering VERY heavy have done it on 2 isuzus 4 nissans and 1 hilux, all ok but the nissans, they blow cvs and snap axles clean in half
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby damo667 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:13 pm

Might stay away from welding the front diff as sounds a bit like I'll have the handling of a tractor haha..
I was just looking at swaybar at the weekend as I finally got round to balljoint flip and torsion bars crank.. I didn't remove the bush completely, just undid the nuts either side, to remove completely do you have to jack up one side and let the other side drop?
I was wondering if I could swap the nuts for wing-nuts for a quick release option or do you think wof man wouldn't like it..
defo going to remove for the next trip cant wait to see difference haven't had a good look yet but I presume I'll have to shorten the bumpstops at the front aswell to get more flex?. can you buy low profile bumpstops ready to fit?

cheers
vroom..._____________...........
vroom./---------|--------\.......
..&.....||______|_____O-\______....
....&...|--____---------------____--\..
........=\/-----\__________/-----\_|...
............\___/..................\___/...
damo667
Isuzu Master

City: queenstown
Vehicle: 1990 Bighorn 2.8D Irmscher LWB
Roof rack,
31/10.5/15 Hankook Dynapro AT-M tyres,
6" speakers front and back, Sony head unit,
DIY Snorkel & K&N cotton filter,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
High-flow muffler 2'5" pipe
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Not a fan of combining low bump stops and ball joint flip. That really pushes the cv angles to the limit. I wondered the same thing but at the time the wof person I was using was going to want to send it to the certifer so it didnt happen. Current wof man might pass it. He knows the bar comes off as soon as it gets home with sticker He also has noticed that the tyres have no wear in 5 years. He did let missing rear bump stops pass.
I should of removed the swaybar completely before I had certification done but no matter.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby damo667 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:44 pm

haha he must get trucks in like that all the time... did you tell him that you only drive it twice a year, to the wof station and back.. :)

Do you tie your swaybar up out of the way somehow when its not connected or just let it bounce around?..
So do you recommend leaving rear bumpstops standard aswell?
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:18 pm

wrote a big story and it didnt load so in short, bumpstops cannot be modified in anyway, can fit slow slim bumpstops but have to mount to factory positions or needs a cert, my truck runs 33 with 2" sus and 2" body lift has 5mm gaurd gap in rear full flex, no bumpstops tyres rub ALOT, vechiles come standard with no swaybar, thats why i removed mine, remember every mod you do makes it that much easier for insurance to get out it not the wof you have to worry about
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Leave it loose but my center bushes are still good enough to hold it out of the way. If it falls back onto the watts linkages it will probably make a huge rattle.
Rear bump stops are missing at present but not by design. Noticed this while having third go at handbrake for wof. Asked wof man about this after the sticker was on the window. He said "I noticed that thought it was meant to be that way" Now the tyres rub the guards on articulation so I will have to fix Who knows how much travel this leaves in the shocks.
Could you please measure the rubber part of your bump stop for me so I can get the right ones.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

2.8 mu, 2.8 bighorn and 2.3 are all the smae bit different shape but all fit, they break the rubber part off from the diff hitting it when 4x4 im on about my 6 set in the rear
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 pm

I looked at the wizard ones which look much the same. I can get 3.1 bighorn ones easily next weekend but away 4wding for the weekend this weekend so it will have to wait. 50mm lift with hd springs and still it hits
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm

dont think 3.1 will fit as they are coil rear end
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:53 pm

wizard is coil and the bump stop mount is sufficiently close that a few minutes with a file is the most it should take to make it fit.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:03 pm

ok then thats good to know thanks
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:04 pm

I will have to test the disconnected swaybar this weekend, see if it rattles and see me extra flexion!..

I've got a lsd diff head on the way is shimming it an easy job? dont really know what I'm doing..

My bumpstops are 80mm from the bracket to the center of the concave face Geeves
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:08 pm

shimming diff is easy just if you do it to much it will be a locker :D looks like your truck has 3.3 bumpstops as they have the sqaure edges all my 2.8 have round edges and same with as chassis it bolts to but as i said they are all the same
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 pm

not sure what I'm shimming as not %100 sure how a lsd works but I'm sure it will become clear when I'm looking at it..
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:30 pm

it has clutch pack on each side of the spider gears you have to remove carrier from the nugget remove the crown wheel mark position of crownwheel and dont mix caps etc up, remove screws and lsd comes apart make or buy shims and put back together
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm

So I ended up making some easily removable bushings for my sway bar by trimming the thread down nd replacing the nuts with wing nuts so I could remove them easily on the go.. problem is I then failed to ever check them so the top bolts on both of them have worked loose and disappeared along with the top rubber bushs and washers.. do you know if its possible to buy these bushes separately or do I have to buy the set up? cheers..
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:09 pm

I thought about setting up my swaybar that way but would of used long threaded high tensile rod for the linkage. My idea was hard mounting at the bottom like factory (including bushings) then the wing nut facing upwards then the lower bush for the top the sway bar the upper bush then a nut with a nylock on top for a locknut. The threaded rod would of been about 50 to 100mm longer than the standard bar and the wingnut tightens upwards towards the sway bar.
Then I realised how much of a pain it is climbing under a car dripping mud in your face just to set the swaybar at the end of a fun day. Hence my current lazy set-up. Handling is affected by removing the sway bar but not by much
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:06 pm

i have spare bushes at home but am half way down south at the moment, i havnt had a swaybar at all on my truck for 2 years drives fine
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:34 pm

its only 20 bucks or so for a set of bushes if you use urethane ones. What places to buy them do you have down there?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby damo667 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 pm

I must say I have to go out of my way to notice any difference in the handling on road.. I notice a bit more wobble when swinging left to right to left but dont have to do that to often on the road :) maybe negotiating roadworks at speed :)
If there only $20 I might aswell pick up some mew ones.. I've got a BNT and a Repco..
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,