• Advertisement

LSD Questions....

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

LSD Questions....

Postby varnz10 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi
I have a 4.5 open diff and a 4.1 LSD I have not yet pulled the 4.5 diff out of the truck, but I am wondering if it is possible to change the gears about between them, Really what I want is the LSD on the 4.5 diff, so that I dont have to change the front diff as well, as so I dont have lose out on the mileage, and extra fuel that would get used with the 4.1 diff. Is this possible? or should I just try and find a 4.5 LSD?

Also Greeves, do you have a manual for the break down of the LSD in case I need to replace shims or bearings?
Thanks
Paul
varnz10
Isuzu Baby

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 Bighorn LWB Lotus LTD 2.8 4JB1-T 2.??? Suspension lift
4.5 LSD in the back
Aussie Lokka for the front on the wish list
Snorkel
2000 Holden Montery All standard

Re: LSD Questions....

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:35 pm

as you said easier to find a 4.5 but you can change the crownwheels over on the carriers and set the tooth contact and side bearing preload
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby pig75 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

You can put the hemisphere out of the 4.3 into the 4.5 and just change the crown wheel
I have no idea about a 4.1 :?
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:27 pm

4.1 or 4.3? My reconing is 4.3
Ive always been under the impression that you cant mix and match the gears from different ratio diffs as the gear angles are different. This was confirmed by consensus here when I asked about using a 4.3 pinion on a 4.5 crown giving equivalent to the mythical 4.8. (there is a 4.8 diff but no ones ever seen one)
4.5 and 4.3 lsd difs should be easy to find
will send a manual later
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:52 pm

you can mix and match the crown wheels and pinons of different ratios as the pitch of the teeth are different, use the 4.5 head with the pinion in it remove lsd carrier from 4.1 and swap crownwheels over and bolt lsd carrier into the 4.5, like i said will have to set tooth contact and side bearing preload
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:38 pm

complete bighorn manual in 11 parts sent to your hotmail You will need to get winrar or 7zip to unpack
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pig75 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:44 am

isuzurob wrote:you can mix and match the crown wheels and pinons of different ratios as the pitch of the teeth are different, use the 4.5 head with the pinion in it remove lsd carrier from 4.1 and swap crownwheels over and bolt lsd carrier into the 4.5, like i said will have to set tooth contact and side bearing preload

I think it should read can't not can
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby isuzurob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:34 pm

sorry you are right CANT thanks
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Hey..

My rear diff in my 1990 2.8td ubs55 bighorn has finally given it up and has started to crunch climbing and cornering at slow speeds, especially from stationary..
Does anyone know if I can fit a LSD diff off a newer model as a replacement? if so what ratio should I be looking for?
Seems a shame to change the diff and not upgrade it, I'm not convinced on a lokka as I do a lot of highway driving but a LSD should be an improvement

probably shouldn't be driving, it sounds like its missing a couple of teeth already.. would it do much damage up front if I drove round in just front wheel drive for a bit? dont wanna create more problems to have to fix haha

Cheers guys

Damien
vroom..._____________...........
vroom./---------|--------\.......
..&.....||______|_____O-\______....
....&...|--____---------------____--\..
........=\/-----\__________/-----\_|...
............\___/..................\___/...
damo667
Isuzu Master

City: queenstown
Vehicle: 1990 Bighorn 2.8D Irmscher LWB
Roof rack,
31/10.5/15 Hankook Dynapro AT-M tyres,
6" speakers front and back, Sony head unit,
DIY Snorkel & K&N cotton filter,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
High-flow muffler 2'5" pipe
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby geeves » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I trust it is the diff not a ujoint or center bearing
first check the rear wheel bearings for play and also the pinion bearing.
If your diff is making those noises without it being bearings then its going to strand you one day soon. Running in front wheel drive will mean removing the rear driveshaft. The diff is still turning so this may not help. Cant remove diff head and drive it
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:20 pm

i have a 2003 lsd in one of my ubs 55 and a 2008 colorado diff head in another, your ratio should be 4.3, sometimes you have to change the driveshaft flange
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:32 am

I replaced the central bearing about 6 months ago and n play in u-joints and I've checked for play in the wheels also the drive shaft has way more play then before if you turn it from side to side whilst stationary,
Diff has been making a bit of noise on and off for a while ie tight low speed corners and steep inclines but whereas is normally give a couple of clunks it was clunking alot more on wed,
Strangely after being parked up all night driving it yesterday seemed relatively normal.. just occasional clunk!!

There is a 96 Bighorn LSD Diffhead on trademe I was just wondering if it would fit straight without too much hassle

I was hoping its just a case of unbolt hubs, slide axles out, unbolt drive shaft, unbolt diff head from housing, throw in lake!, fit LSD head, drive away!!

Am I being optimistic there? Is there any difference between the 2003 and 96 diffs?

Cheers
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:50 am

all the diff nuggets will fit from 88 to 2011 but there are so many ratios, the colorado diff was 3.4 so i used the lsd carrier in my diff nugget, just make sure you get the right ratio, the 03 bolted straight in as ratio was correct
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:53 pm

sweet so if I can find a bighorn LSD Diff Head with 4.3 ratio it should fit straight on? is the ratio written on the diff anywhere?
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:05 pm

yes should fit not going to say 100 percent as everyones trucks are different but have done two of mine as i said, all the nuggets are the same, will fit and work if you get a 4.3 all the axle splins are the same etc, no doesnt say on them have to pull it out and count crownwheel and pinion then divide number of teeth on pinion by number on crownwheel eg 10 pinion 43 crownwheel is 4.3, can shim it before you put it in aswell if you want it tighter, i have a locker in front and back of mine i got use to it now done over 100,000 with it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Cheers mate I've sourced a couple of 4.3 diff heads so going to get one and try and fit it.
When you say driveshaft flange may be different do you mean the face of driveshaft that bolts to the diff head? can it be replaced if it doesn't match or do I need to find a diff that does?
What is the benefit of shimming the diff?

a LSD in front aswell would be awesome I was thinking maybe an auto lokka in the front eventually as it wouldn't affect my highway driving, I've heard they make gravel roads pretty interesting at speed in 4wd though..
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby isuzurob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:52 pm

yea the flange the the driveshaft bolts to mine were all bolt up but flanges were round and not cut out like driveshaft if different just swap them, shim the diff to make the lsd tighter just depends how many ks the diff has done already, everyone is scared of auto lockers i was first in nz to fit mine to an isuzu from aussie supplier front one is great and makes steering bit heavier and rear is awsome for wreaking tyres and doesnt have the best road manner but me and my gf drive it
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby isuzurob » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm

also the front diff is smaller so you need a lsd out of the rear of a 2.3 turbo which are rare as ever so locker is the best
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby damo667 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:51 pm

sweet I'll fit the new diff and see how she feels, nice to know theres an option to tighten it up if needed, hopefully flange will fit, have to wait till it arrives..

I'm thinking I"ll go ahead with the auto lokka on front when I can afford it, should help me get up the steep gravely stuff round here the front always seems to spin on that stuff..

Cheers for advice
damo667
Isuzu Master

Roof rack,
Boost,EGT gauge
Adjusted boost,
Adjusted fuel,
2" suspension lift
EFS shocks

"the little rihno"

Postby geeves » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm

take your front sway bar off. That will help heaps in the front. To keep wof man happy do it like I have. Day after wof undo both top nuts on the sway bar linkages remove the top bush push bar out of the way put the bush and nut back on for safe keeping. Day before wof take the nuts and bushes back off again push the bar back onto linkage and put the bush and nuts back on. It does rattle a little but with all the other noises who cares.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Next

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension