• Advertisement

Seized Handbrake Cables

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Seized Handbrake Cables

Postby walruz » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi learnered ones, having trouble with seized cables. So far have used Innox almost a week now and little to no movement. Even had clamps on the cables supplying tension but still no go. Have read FAQ about kero and oil, perhaps should try that next. What is it about the kero, good penetrate or what? Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Cheers
walruz
Isuzu Junior

City: Sunshine Coast
Vehicle: 1996 Bighorn 4JG2 Auto.

Re: Seized Handbrake Cables

Postby mulover » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:33 am

Kero is a very good penetrate, and for some reason seems to just work. If all of the above still hasn't worked then chances are the cables have rusted into the liner and are not going anywhere.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:14 am

They are only $100 for genuine replacements dont know about aftermarket
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby Demonic » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 am

I had same problem with mine when i first got the Mu, remove the cable and put kero down it, dont use brakeclean as this removes the oil from the cable and it will rust in no time., when free'd put some oil or spray in grease down it.

One thing to check is if its still in 1 peice. put one end in a vice and vicegrips on other end and pull like hell.

Also Genuine cables from memory are $125 for the short one and about $160 for the longer one, to get one made you looking at about the same amount.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby mulover » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:08 am

Looking at those prices i would be just buying new ones, and saving all the effort, but thats just what i do.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby geeves » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:24 pm

Hardest part is getting the kero down the cable. I made a funnel from a soft drink bottle and tape. You need to get the tape wraped tightly around the cable and use it like a plug in the bottle as the kero eats the tape glue. Hang the cable and fill the funnel and let it soak through. Then try and work back and forwards while soaking more kero in. It will be hard to move to start with and if it breaks it needed changing anyway
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Dunno where demonic bought his cables I just walked into the local holden dealer (wouldnt buy anything else there though
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby Demonic » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:10 pm

I got mine from William and Adams Holden in Wellington, 1xBrake Cable @117.06 inc GST, It was a case of as soon as I order it(pay @order time) its mine, and if it didnt fit then tough luck to me.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby walruz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks 4 the ideas guys..... I've just realised what the problem is..... DON'T DRIVE THRU SALT WATER :cry: :cry: :cry:
OK I've tried everything suggested including profanities but still no real movement. Seems maybe a few too many deepish water crossings :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh well looks like I've been bent over again by Mr Isuzu and now it's time to do the rounds and be once again surprised by how much $$$$ can be relieved
from my wallet :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cheers

ps. Anyone have part no's for the two cables....1996 lwb Bighorn drum in disc.
walruz
Isuzu Junior

Postby Demonic » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:44 am

How long did you spend pouring kero down it?, Mine took a good 2 hours worth of pouring, moving and hanging before it started to move.
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:23 am

Yours freeed easy. I had 2 to do as well. Its not the salt water but the mud that comes with it thats the problem. Keep working at it If it doesnt break it will free up
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby walruz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:03 pm

Had cables hanging for over a week, constantly feeding them with penetrating fluid, kero and oil. Even modified a large sash cramp to grip the cables and apply LOTS of tension........but nuthin, zero, zippo, nowt.
Soooo after much procastination I have now found a local cable guy who will make new ones :D :D :D Around $100 ish each which I know is a good price. Bits 4 Isuzu wanted $95 each for seccond hand plus postage. Cheapest new would have to be Milner Offroad UK which has them listed at A$96 the pair plus post!!!

Cheers
walruz
Isuzu Junior

Postby Demonic » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:54 am

At least with new there is some 'peice of mind'
Cheers,
Andrew
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Postby walruz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Demonic, yeah mate, picked them up today . As I'm on the beach every spare weekend new is the only option. Now to finish the brake job..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
walruz
Isuzu Junior

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension