• Advertisement

Bleeding rear disc brakes

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Bleeding rear disc brakes

Postby bedford4x4 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Hello, all,

I have 4-wheel disc brakes on my Mu 2.8 TD and I'm not happy with the braking on it. It has always had kind of spongy brakes. They pass a WOF without any trouble, but when towing a trailer they are not satisfactory. I changed the rear wheel cylinders with not much difference, I have replaced the master cylinder after wondering if that was the problem, with an improvement.

The braking does improve if I've been towing a heavy load. The next 48 hours I have good brakes. This suggests that either the pads I have on the truck are far too hard, or that I have air in the system.

Now the rear disc brakes have a 14mm brass nut on the back which must be removed to adjust the hand-brake. Should brake fluid come out of this hole when adjusting the hand-brake, or is a seal stuffed? I wonder, because it seems to me that if there is no seal in there then it is impossible to bleed the rear wheel cylinders because there doesn't appear to be any way for trapped air to escape, if it gets in behind that brass nut.

Some people suggested a proportioning valve but I'm sure that my truck doesn't have a proportioning valve because proportioning valves have to have some mechanical linkage to the rear axle or suspension, don't they?

The hand-brake sucks as well. It passes a WOF, but there is no way I'd trust it on a hill. What can be done?
bedford4x4
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Turbo-diesel, Bighorn intercooler + bonnet scoop, 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flow muffler and resonator, 1" body lift, 2" rear shackle lift, torsion bars wound up, ball-joint swap, fuel tank lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock-sliders, aftermarket alloy bash-plate.

Re: Bleeding rear disc brakes

Postby turnturn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:30 pm

No fluid should come from the hole the brass nut was removed from.

Also I have found that I needed to machine (grind) the front off a socket, or the side off a ring spanner, to remove the lead (chamfer) into the hexagon/12point area. The standard nut has quite a low profile hexagon and is easily damaged.
I suspect that this is quite a common problem as most of the ones at the wreckers are also damaged.

I don't think that a proportioning valve necessarily has to have a mechanical linkage attached.
My only experience with a proportioning valve was on a Moto Guzzi (Mk1 Lemans) and it had no mechanical linkage aspect to it.

Yep, the handbrakes suck. I adjust mine before most WOFs. Luckily I don't have to park on many hills.
Are the later model rear Disc/drum setups any better?
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby bedford4x4 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:39 pm

turnturn wrote:No fluid should come from the hole the brass nut was removed from.

Also I have found that I needed to machine (grind) the front off a socket, or the side off a ring spanner, to remove the lead (chamfer) into the hexagon/12point area. The standard nut has quite a low profile hexagon and is easily damaged.
I suspect that this is quite a common problem as most of the ones at the wreckers are also damaged.

I don't think that a proportioning valve necessarily has to have a mechanical linkage attached.
My only experience with a proportioning valve was on a Moto Guzzi (Mk1 Lemans) and it had no mechanical linkage aspect to it.

Yep, the handbrakes suck. I adjust mine before most WOFs. Luckily I don't have to park on many hills.
Are the later model rear Disc/drum setups any better?

Okay, so no fluid should come out. I must have a dicky seal in there somewhere.

Hmm - I wonder if mine does have a proportioning valve? What it does have is a small steel fitting just in front of the rear axle. The brake line goes in and another comes out. I wondered if it was just a blank body because it doesn't have any linkage off it. Perhaps I better investigate further.

I was wondering if it would be worth going to a rear drum set-up just to get a decent hand-brake?
bedford4x4
Isuzu Baby

Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Turbo-diesel, Bighorn intercooler + bonnet scoop, 2 1/2" exhaust with free-flow muffler and resonator, 1" body lift, 2" rear shackle lift, torsion bars wound up, ball-joint swap, fuel tank lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock-sliders, aftermarket alloy bash-plate.

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:17 pm

No fluid should come out the bleed screw but there is a seal on the bolt and it doesnt affect the bleeding once the bolt is in. A wof issueing mechanic didnt say anything when he adjusted my brakes for a wof and mine produced a steady steam. A more likly cause is sticky calliper slides both on the front and back brakes. I have to regrease mine every year or 2 even with new seals over them. Use special brake grease
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby bedford4x4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm

geeves wrote:No fluid should come out the bleed screw but there is a seal on the bolt and it doesnt affect the bleeding once the bolt is in. A wof issueing mechanic didnt say anything when he adjusted my brakes for a wof and mine produced a steady steam. A more likly cause is sticky calliper slides both on the front and back brakes. I have to regrease mine every year or 2 even with new seals over them. Use special brake grease

I did the caliper slides with Copperkote a while back. They won't ever seize. This brake trouble is the most annoying thing about the truck - useless hand-brake and spongey brakes.

I'll give them another blled before the WOF next month - hopefully that'll change things.
bedford4x4
Isuzu Baby

Postby MattMu » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:10 pm

You do have a proportioning valve and if your brakes are leaking then get them to a repairer before you kill someone.
MattMu
Isuzu Baby

City: Perth
Vehicle: 2009 JK Wrangler TD Auto
99 2.8TD Rodeo
93 2.8TD MU

Postby geeves » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I tried coppercoat on mine with little success. If the seals over the slides are damaged it washes out in no time. Rubber grease lasted longer but even then I had to redo them every 3 months till I replaced the seals. Now I only do them every 18 months to 2 years.
My money is still on the calliper slides. Remember that one bolt is the slide as you would expect but the other bolt goes through a tube and its the outside of this tube that is the slide. If you buy a calliper seal kit it contains teflon inserts for the slides
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby Demonic » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:49 pm

Every vehicle has a proportioning one way or another as most of your braking power to set to the front. But wouldnt not suggest playing with it or as above said, you could kill someone.

Unless its leaking past the brass nut you should be okay (system is fluid tight), I get a small sepage past the brass but aswel.

Was told its the seals and possabily a rusty cylinder bores can make the handbrake had to adjust aswell.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension