• Advertisement

soft clunk

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

soft clunk

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:17 pm

I was idling along behind the cows in low4 with the window open and could hear a "soft" clunking coming from the front right hub On further investgation it is only in 4x4 in a straight line when the surface is slightly rolling - not bumpy or smooth The sound is beginning to become harsher. I cant hear it when the pressure is on the front drive ie bumpy or in mud or when turning or 2wd. i pulled the cap off the manual hub and all I could find was that I could pull/push the spline in 3 or 4 mm. but the circlip is still there Dont think that it is a cv its a different sound Help please :?: Thanks
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Re: soft clunk

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Are you sure its the hub? Its hard to tell while driving but the driveshaft is on the right hand side with 2 u joints and a spline.
The movement in the hub suggests the thrust washer has worn out. In itself not a major but the movement will allow water passed the seal into the wheel bearing during water crossings.
To get at this its best to unclip the cv from the hub then crack the 3 ball joints and put the hub assembly on the bench Pop the seal out of the back of the hub and you can get at the thrust washer which is about 80 by 5mm in size with a slot on each side for grease. Holden only part as is the seal which will most likely also need replacing. While in there its worth also replaceing the needle roller inside the hub that supports the half shaft. Be very gental tapping it in as the shell is very easily damaged. You can get this from a bearing shop by the number on it but its only a couple of bucks more at holden and they can order it from the parts book
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: soft clunk

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:21 pm

looks like Im pulling a hub to bits -the front driveshaft has just been totally rebuilt
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension