• Advertisement

Autolock hub fix!

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Autolock hub fix!

Postby suzinoobie » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:48 am

In an earlier post I mentioned right front drive popping out of gear. Standard circlips don't cut it on the outer part of the shaft! too narrow. Got a correct used one from Strong for Isuzu it was a bit stretched but the right thickness. Squeezed it up a bit in the vice but after installing it, it still had a bit of sideways play. Was not happy with it like that so devised a wicked plan!! :D I have a small lathe so I machined up a cup to fit over the end of the shaft and held it on with an 8mm bolt into the threaded end of the shaft. Had to reduce the bolt head to clear the hub end cap and bingo! the clip cannot come off :lol: The left side clip was a bit sloppy also so it got the treatment too. I feel a lot more confident in the soft sand with that done :P :P
If any one is interested here are the dimensions: OD 26mm ID 20.1mm, depth inside 2.7mm. O/A length 5.7mm, centre hole 8mm. Bolt length is 14mm from under the spring washer and machine the head to clear end cap by about 1mm. The inside depth is the important one here as it allows the cup to just sit against the circlip.
Hope this is useful to someone and for those that have auto hubs I would suggest you check your clips. Just requires removal of the hub cover (not the wheel :D ) clean any grease out so you can see and use a small screwdriver to try and move the circlip sideways. If moves more than tiny bit chances are it could pop off right when you need it most!! :cry: :cry: :( :o :? They say there should be no pressure on the clip but the clip is all that stops the shaft sliding inboard and who knows what forces are at play there!! So how do they pop off?? Gremlins!! :D

Found out how to add an attachment :D Here's the sketch of the mod.
Auto hub mod.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by suzinoobie on Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M2H
suzinoobie
Isuzu Baby

City: Waipu
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu Bighorn lotus 3.2 V6 Petrol

Re: Autolock hub fix!

Postby BroNZ » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:47 pm

I just encountered the LH circlip popping off too today and question the workmanship of one mechanic so will observe for the week and see how its is next weekend. Maybe the circlip wasn't properly seated in the groove? I removed the RH circlip and compared against the LH and no problems same size and shape so reset both in place.
Mine had a shim on each side to make a tight fit so there was no play - found it by accident when checking ball joints and could hear some movement so reached around and pulled on the cv boot and the axle partially moved abit from out of the wheel. I think the brake line will prevent the wheel coming off and mine has been like that for many km's.... very lucky to not have the wheel come off rip the brake line hose and find my self doin end over end flips!
As i was looking for the part number for circlips I caome across this website
http://catalog.impex-jp.com/isuzu/?st=5 ... aT09MDE%3D
enter all that into your www. and you'll come up with part numbers for manual and auto locking hubs. The snap rings/circlips are #26 and if you click the #26 on the image a red box appears around it which shades the part list on the RH side of page. The shims are #27 and you can get different sized shims too.
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 iSuZu SWB 6VD1 MtM 31x10.5x15s

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:57 pm

that circlip really does little beyond locating the axle tightly so the seal can do its job. If its missing the wheel cannot fall off and the axle cannot move back more than about 50mm. The axle is 200mm long beyond the cv so there is no risk to any other component.
If the vehicle has been raised there can be extra pressure on the circlip that can cause it to pop off. If its been raised and if the rear was raised by a shackle lift the rear driveshaft can be off angle causing a vibration. If this is the case you may need to fit tapered shims under the rear diff so that the flange on the diff is parallel to the flange on the gearbox
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BroNZ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:01 pm

That too has been in the back of my mind with my vibration issue - Geeves what is the stk std height measurements? nevermind
I've just found my ball joints are fitted under the control arms! cool some way forward thanx geeves and I couldn't see any lift shackles fitted to the rear - which I also noticed the rear shaft to the diff flange was angled in a way that the gearbox is sitting higher than the diff. Buggered UJ's!
BroNZ
Isuzu Baby

City: Hamilton
Vehicle: 1993 iSuZu SWB 6VD1 MtM 31x10.5x15s

Postby bandtaz » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:06 am

suzinoobie, thanks SO much for that excellent idea! getting them made the week-end & fitting them in the new week! YAY :D
bandtaz
Isuzu Baby

City: westport
Vehicle: 92 bighorn

Postby bandtaz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:55 am

suzinoobie, fitted both sides. YES,YES,YES!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! did a little drive yesterday and gave them a little test, worked well. Awesome! thnx! :P :D
bandtaz
Isuzu Baby

City: westport
Vehicle: 92 bighorn

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension