• Advertisement

Brands of CV Joints & Spares

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Brands of CV Joints & Spares

Postby dasnoboarder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Hey,

Getting some spare parts together, just wondering where people get their CV's from.

Is there a left and right joint? Or can it go on either side?
Same with tie rods, can use on either side?

I've seen some at Supercheap, Repco probably have some, or I could get some genuine ones from the wreckers...

Other than that, radiator hoses, oil & fuel filters, duct tape :twisted: , fuses & wire, anything else?

Andy.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Re: Brands of CV Joints & Spares

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:40 pm

As far as I am aware there are no aftermarket CV joints that are as strong as the original equipment ones. Get second hand from the wreckers then give a good clean and regrease. They are the same left and right. One of the cvs in my 89 bighorn came out of a 95 Mu but the later bighorn ones are different. The clean and regrease is far easier to do before installing The one I fitted was full of sand but cleaned up ok except for a slight clicking turning under load. The one it replaced had worn the shaft where it runs in the bearing which was stuffed.
The tie rods are the same but there are 2 little catches. The ends have a left and right hand thread and should be fitted a particular way. The only difference this makes is that when you buy tie rod ends you specify inner or outer but if the rods the wrong way you get the wrong one. (been there done that)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby dasnoboarder » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:25 pm

Thanks Geeves, so for a spares box, would you need the tie-rod ends (inner and outer) as well as the middle section?
Or is it usually only the middle section that fails?
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Postby turnturn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:42 pm

Also be aware that (as far as I know) 2.8 Mu and 3.1 Mu CV's are different sizes.
I'm not sure where they differ. Could be splines, diameter, length???
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 pm

All Mu except the series 3 are the same as ubs 55 bighorn.
Im useing a ucs69 cv in my bighorn no issue. (also useing whole hub assembly except the brakes)
For tie rod just take a complete tie rod assembly. The ends are the same except for the reversed thread. You need to adjust it for length anyway. The centre bars can be bent but it takes substantial abuse. The ends just wear out and fail inspections. They will still get you home
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pig75 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:47 pm

This is what I take when i gow 4x4ing
Tools
Complete tie rod
1/2m small chain and d shackles (never know when you need to chain up something)
Small ratchet tie downs
Fan belts
Oil
Water
Brake fluid
Duck tape
Fixall tape http://www.fixalltape.com/
Snatch strap
Tow strap
Rated shackles
Hand cleaner
Plastic shopping bags (good for putting dirty things in)
And a old towel
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:13 pm

If you are going to carry a cv practise changing one at home. Much easier to know how when you have to change one on a car dripping mud while its raining and daylight is starting to fade. Ive seen one done in 15 minutes in a paddock I can do one in about an hour in the garage
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby mulover » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:03 pm

I've never carried a spare cv, as i have only blown inner ones and they are different.
I carry one complete tie rod, it will get you home and you can get the right one later. i have only ever seen one break and that was after it hit a rock at pace.
I carry a litre of engine oil, 250ml of brake fluid, 1 spare of each belt and a spare hub. thats only cause i've blown a few cheap ones up. if you have the genuine ones you will never break one.
Tools - i carry a builders hammer (never know when you may need to pull out a staple) a ring and open end spanner set - just 8 to 24mm, a metric only 3/8" / 1/4" socket set (no imperial stuff on the mu), linesman pliers, a really good pry bar, 12" cresant, circlip pliers, allen keys, and other bits and pieces like cable ties, nails, staples (never know when yopu may need to put one in) tape, rope, chain etc. Just take note of what other people have then collect what you think you need.
Oh how i miss my mu, the lux is just not the same :(
mulover
Isuzu Master

City: Mackay
Vehicle: 1990 toyota hilux single cab 2.8

Postby Pissy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:22 pm

I've had my hubs changed and I think the mechanic put rodeo ones, ever since then I get a shattering noise under hard breaking while in 4x4, i think the cv shaft is slipping in the hub when under a fair bit of pressure,....OH well.
I have heard that some CVs are a touch longer or shorter than MU ones so be sure about ths issue.

Its the middle tie rod that always go,...bends. Hollow pipe for leverage and good set of grips/pliers (not sure the real name) for unscrewing the bent section out,....this is where a hollow pipe can really help out.
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:54 pm

I've never carried a spare cv, as i have only blown inner ones and they are different.

Your only the second person Ive heard of that broke an inner cv. Everyone else breaks the outer one which is weaker and subjected to more twisting (full articulation and turning + a little power = bang) The inner cv means dropping the diff so I understand not wanting to change on the trail
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:25 am

Pissy wrote:I've had my hubs changed and I think the mechanic put rodeo ones, ever since then I get a shattering noise under hard breaking while in 4x4, i think the cv shaft is slipping in the hub when under a fair bit of pressure,....

Do you have manual or auto hubs?

I had auto hubs until last weekend. Pain in the ass those things are. Never holds when needed always falling out of lock going backwards... They make horrible clicking/grinding noises.

Anyway, replaced with manual at long last. I noticed when I pulled the cap off that the autos have a c clip holdin the inner hub to the axel shaft.
Well they ment to. Mine was floating around in the grease on both of them. Made sure I got the clips on the manual hubs in, had to shim one side up though. tested everyday since. just like a totally new machine!!!!!

Worth makin sure those clips are still in.
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby pringo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:52 am

I've snapped two inner driveshafts within 3000kms..... 1st time resulted in the front diff needing to be rekitted, 2nd time was a clean break luckily. I'm running 33's with a lokka but I'm unsure why the actual spline is snapping instead of the joint? The splines and joints have been aftermarket both times. Any brands that anyone knows of that might be a little stronger? Or would it be best to track down second hand oem ones and have them posted to me?
pringo
Isuzu Baby

City: bundaberg
Vehicle: 1990 isuzu mu

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:20 pm

As far as Im aware there is no CV shaft assembly as strong as the original with one exception. I read an artical a long time ago about an isuzu running porshe cvs. Dont know what model or what mods are needed to make them work.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby pringo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 am

Hmm interesting.... might do some research. Not holding high hopes though, even if it is relatively easy to get the porche cv's to fit, I'm sure the price would be a major factor. Anyone know of wreckers that deal with mu's in QLD or NSW?
pringo
Isuzu Baby

Postby pig75 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Rodeo and jackaroo are the same as MU
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby Bargie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:10 pm

i have heard about the porshe ones being used with large lifts as they work through a tighter angle and they are longer too.
live fast die laughing
90 MU with some mods
Bargie
Isuzu Baby

City: Highfields
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu MU 2.8 td wagon

Postby pringo » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:59 pm

Any ideas on where to find information on the porche cv's? Been doing some research but cant seem to find much at all.... I'm guessing my best would be to track down the specifications of the standard cv's then try to match them up.
pringo
Isuzu Baby

Postby Elysian » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:41 pm

When I put Fly3r's 3.1L front and back axles on my 2.8L MU .. the CV's I had were 2 new ones I had gotten from Pedder's ..and they seemed a lot more bulky/heavier duty than the one's Flyer had on .. so we used my CV's and no problems yet .. even after pulling 3.5 tonne worth of 200 series Cruiser and caravan out of a mud hole last week end ..

So as said before.. 2.8 and 3.1 CV's are the same ..
Elysian
Isuzu Baby

City: Sutherland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8 TD
Midnight Blue
3.1 axle set up front and back
Bride one piece race seats
4.556 LSD rear, 4.556 LOKKA front
ARB bullbar
Lightforce 170 Xeon spotlights
2 inch body lift

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension