• Advertisement

Need Help With Grinding Sound After Suspension Lift

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Need Help With Grinding Sound After Suspension Lift

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:02 am

Help!

I've finished putting in my suspension lift;
Lovells HR-15 lifted leaf springs, greaseable shackles, reindexed and raised torsion bars, ball joint flip.
This combo has been known to work for our trucks in the past.

Measurements from bottom of wheel rim to wheel arch:
Before lift: FL 729mm, FR 723mm, RL 700mm, RR 695mm (about 30mm of sag in the old springs?)
After lift: FL 780mm, FR 780mm, RL 790mm, RR 790mm (About 90mm lift over old springs, should be about 60mm over standard)
Springs have only been in a few days, so might not have settled.

It's developed some new noises! :!:

The little tabs of metal in the leaf spring hangers were rubbing on the springs, I've bent them out a little so that's fixed...

But theres still this loud grinding noise that happens at high speed, I'll try to explain...

Going 60+ km/h, everything is fine at cruising, but when I lift off the accelerator and start slowing down, a loud grinding noise happens, and vibrates through the car.
It's not the brakes at none of them are seized, and the handbrake is disconnected at the moment.

Local garage thinks it could be the where the rear driveshaft joins the box.
Their idea was to lower the crossmember and see if the noise goes away.

Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas?

Stupid truck! :evil:
Last edited by dasnoboarder on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1993 Isuzu MU 2.8L 4JB1TI

Re: Need Help With Grinding Sound After Suspension Lift

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:22 am

Just done a search on the old forum, seems quite a common problem.

Rear is lifted too high and so is causing tailshaft vibrations.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I'm using the standard HR-15 springs, and shackles that are 5mm shorter than the standard ones.
I wouldn't have thought that this amount of lift would cause these issues, as people have used lifted springs and extended shackles together.
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby Demonic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:13 am

Is the noise defintily coming from the rear of the vehicle? or centeral or front?
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

City: Wellington
Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby Pissy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:29 am

Yeah I have it too and do a few more of us, no one yet has sorted it out. Definitely something to do with tail shaft.
I only get it when there is neither acceleration or deceleration, (slack/relaxed/neutral drive shaft). I can just barely hear it when doing 60km but its loud at 100km. I have just learnt to cope with it and try not to have the accerator pedel at the point where it causes a "neutral shaft"

Someone did try adding a spacer but that didn't work,....I think its the angle of the uni joints either into the rear or transfer case?

I have never thought to LOAD UP the car and see if the weight is enough to drop it down to eliminate the issue,...will have to do it sometime ?
94 3.1L MU,2.5"suspension lift,2"body Lift,33"Bighorns,F&R Autolockers,Rock Sliders,winch bar,240 lightforces,UHF,120amp alternator,dual batteries,snorkel,turbo timer etc
Pissy
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: 1994 3.1L Turbo Diesel MU

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 am

How long have you had it for? Nothing has broken?

I don't want to leave it too long, as it doesn't sound healthy at all...

I think I'm going to try lowering the rear of the box... Anyone have a suggestion for how much? 10-20mm?
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby Demonic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:15 pm

If you took the tail shaft off it may be that it was not replaced in the correct position making it out of balance. But i agree with pigs, it is probly the angle of the driveshaft (cant be good for seals).

Without lookin at the gearbox maybe just a couple of bits (2x10mm etc) of plate between the mounts or something. But I think you have the right idea.
Cheers,
Andrew
**I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder. Only problem is my horn doesnt work anymore.**
Demonic
Isuzu Master

Vehicle: Lexus V8 powered Surf. Sorry Mu is gone... but i do miss it

Postby holden » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Jeep Wranglers lower the gear box about 30mm to fix the shaft angle. But the dive shafts about 400mm long.

kane
holden
Isuzu Junior

City: Whangarei
Vehicle: 91 Isuzu MU 2.8T D (4JB1T)

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Thanks guys,

We haven't taken out the tailshaft for the past 5 years, and there was no vibration before, so I think it's in the right way.

Just had another look under the truck, am I right in thinking that the spacers just go between the crossmember (that has the transfer case bolted to it) and chassis?

Probably start with 20mm spacer, may need some longer bolts...
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby sprey » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Whoa after i lifted my vehicross i had a simular noise, say over 80kmh let off the gas get the sound like a chaddering noise.

I greased up the 3 points on the driveshaft it went away for a bit then redeveloped so yea maybe worn u joints? or just the angle like said above But hmm mine is also weird because if it is in Tod aka 4Hi i get it but in 2wd i dont think i get it as much i guess ill have to do some testing runs.
sprey
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Current - None. Ex- Isuzu Vehicross,

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Check yout U joints. They may be siezed or worn. You could also remove the rear driveshaft and put the wagon in 4wd and give it a quick drive in front wheel drive to see if its gone. A catch with this though is that the rear of the transfer case is open and will spew out some oil. Block or cover as best you can.
Check the obvious things first.
A common trick on raised Nissan patrols is caster corection bushes and wedges under the spring hanger. For the nissan these can be bought off the shelf but nothing available for us

with the jeep without that mod they smash U joints
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby sprey » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:25 pm

Hmm with mine could be dodgy taking off the rear driveshaft then driving in Tod as front is electronicaly controled but the rear is always on so it might trick it somehow. Plus knowing me id stuff something up and cant afford to muck anythng up, but yea ill talk to my mechanic at a later date at the moment it hardly does the noise so im not too bothered.

Wish we had off the shelf parts. even worse me tho lol
sprey
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Current - None. Ex- Isuzu Vehicross,

Postby pig75 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 pm

dasnoboarder wrote:Just done a search on the old forum, seems quite a common problem.

Rear is lifted too high and so is causing tailshaft vibrations.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I'm using the standard HR-15 springs, and shackles that are 5mm shorter than the standard ones.
I wouldn't have thought that this amount of lift would cause these issues, as people have used lifted springs and extended shackles together.

You could try some Caster wedges
http://72.34.32.141/~snakerac/product_i ... ba4103c53f
92 MU, 91 MU ute, 90 MU, 96 Wizard, 14 MUX,2019 Dmax LSU
Australia's loudest MU
MY SITE MY YouTube SPL 152.3dB
If beef is in beef mince, What is in pet mince?
pig75
Site Admin

City: QLD
Vehicle: 90MU, 91MU ute & 92MU, 96 Wizard, 2014 MUX LST 2019 Dmax LSU

Postby slightlydodgy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:55 pm

My front did the same after a gearbox and engine lift after a suspension lift. Put up with it for ages turned out both unis were had it and the sliding spline was stuffed. Good now 120 in 4x4 with no noise
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby jezza » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm

What about a modifying a toyota cv joint to fit? you wouldn't have any problems then
jezza
Isuzu Junior

City: Chch
Vehicle: 94 Mu

Postby dasnoboarder » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Interesting, whats the procedure for checking out the U-joints? If everything moves free I guess they arn't seized, how do you tell if they're worn?
dasnoboarder
Isuzu Master

Postby geeves » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:48 pm

If you can grab the shaft and pull side to side and rotate. Any movement at all is a fail.
Could pay to do this them move the car a short way then do again. I had a sudden severe vibration after a sand dune track Checked everything on the drivetrain and all seemed fine. Upon moving vibration was still there along with strange noises Checked again 10 meters later Very loose rear u joint. It must of been bound up the first check. There bearing cups were completely gone and the yoke was bent. Driving above 10kph was impossible with this driveshaft as the wheels were bouncing off the road
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Fly3r » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:35 pm

manual or Auto? I had those same springs, brand and everything, in my truck with calmini shackles from a 3in kit, had the slightest of noises in the rear uni, but went away after 2 weeks. mine was a manual, auto have a longergear box, so the angle is a litll worse with the autos.
like everybody suggested gear box spacers, or spring wedges, (I'm pretty sure MUvit had the snake racing wedges between the springs and diff option with his lift before the SAS, he had extended snake racing shackle in too).

-Muvits is auto-
Three things a Co-pilot should say to a Captain:
1. Great landing
2. First round is on me
3. I'll take the ugly one.
Fly3r
Isuzu Junior

City: Sydney
Vehicle: Isuzu Mu 1994 3.1 T/D

Postby wbski007 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 am

too much angle on drive shaft, when you let off on fuel rear tilts even farther down, causing noise, your going to have to change angle of rear. Wayne
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:20 am

There is a catch to that though. The flanges at each end of each section of driveshaft should be parallel. If in the case of the early gearbox which has a splined shaft instead of a gearbox the effective flange is perpendicular to the shaft. If this is wrong vibration can be the result.
I have the same rear springs but the only issue is a slight judder on take off.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby daisy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:47 pm

Yip do the spring wedges im running those rear leafs too and thats how i fixed it not sure what degree the wedges are they were just the ones i had at the time. ive got a mate that owns a SHOCK SHOP ill go see him tomorrow and find out the degree of the wedges i think i need a bit more than what ive got cause i still get a bit vibration over 100km 8-)
daisy
Isuzu Senior

Vehicle: '94 Isuzu Mu 3.1 auto

Next

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension