• Advertisement

Front wheel berings

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Front wheel berings

Postby willyr » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:59 am

For a WOF I need to tighten the front wheel berings how do I get the free wheeling hub off? I took the 6 8mm cap screws out removed the cir clip and pulled out the guts of the hub but behind that is something with 3 screws in it. Took them out and nothing. How do I get to the wheel bering? Am I on the right path or way off?
Cheers.
Willy Roundhill.
willyr
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1990 bighorn

Re: Front wheel berings

Postby geeves » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:45 pm

The disk with 3 screws is the locking tab easher for the wheel bearing. Take the 3 screws out then the washer should lift out but can be fiddly. Next to 2 of the holes the screws were in is a larger hole in the adjusting nut. You can grip the washer through these 2 holes with needle nose pliers or circlip pliers. Otherwise 2 small screwdrivers also work.
Then you will see a round nut with 3 screw holes and 2 slightly bigger holes. Lightle tap clockwise on the bigger holes to tighten although its a wise idea to take it apart the rest of the way and put some fresh grease in.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby willyr » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:08 am

I've tightened the wheel berings and got the WOF but today I herd a bit of a squeal as I went around a corner so is it possible that I have over tightened them or is that not an issue? I didn't force anything when I tightened them just jacked up the front and wiggled the wheel as I tightened them. This souldnt have gone too far right?
willyr
Isuzu Baby

City: Blenheim
Vehicle: 1990 bighorn

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Book says that the bearing should be tightened so a 10kg weight on a wheel stud just turns the wheel. If there is still movement the bearing should be replaced.
With synthetic greases like polyplex Im not sure its possible to tighten the bearing tight enough to achieve the 10kg test. I always achieve no movement well before that preload is reached. Did you regrease the bearing at the same time?
My suspect for a squeal on a corner is worn brake pads. They have a metal spring that sings when it touches the disc Its more likely to touch when cornering
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension