• Advertisement

Transfer case oil

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Transfer case oil

Postby shane0nz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:57 am

Hi guys this has been answered a few times, im changing the oils on 95 mu diesel. Automatic. The Diffs i'll use 80/90 gear oil, the transfer case i see people recommend engine oil, well i tried this the last time and ended up ratshit graunching noises when selecting through 2wd 4wd, pissed me off because it never did that before, i dumped that shit oil and put in gear oil ever since its been fine apart from a litle grind when selecting 4wd.. f@&ing engine oil, so does anyone recommend gear oil for transfer case? Tia
shane0nz
Isuzu Baby

City: whakatane
Vehicle: 95 isuzu mu 3.1

Re: Transfer case oil

Postby geeves » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 pm

Every time I look at the manual I end up in the same place ie manual transmission and transfer = cheap engine oil Auto trans dexron and no mention of the transfer case.
I know people have used atf in manual boxes with no ill effect and in the transfer case. I know that the viscosity rating of 80w90 for a gl5 gear oil isnt much different to a 15w40 engine or gl3 gear oil.
I know that the good engine oils contain anti friction additives that really mess with the syncro rings in a gearbox.
I know that the high pressure additives in gl5 diff oils can cause severe wear on brass bushes
In the absence of a more qualified suggestion I have 3 choices for the transfer case oil
1 dexron atf. This is a gear oil and it matches the oil in the trans
2 gl3 gear oil This is often sold as 5 speed gearbox oil
3 engine oil but get the cheapest you can.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

75w85 or 75w/90 gear oil is mint, ive never had any issues other than crunching when shifting from 4L to 2H at speed
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby shane0nz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:45 pm

thanks for that ill go for the 80'90 oil for diffs which is over 5L, with this cheap engine oil no one states it but will it matter petrol or diesel oil? :?
shane0nz
Isuzu Baby

City: whakatane
Vehicle: 95 isuzu mu 3.1

Postby geeves » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:02 am

Less additives the better. I used mobil extra in mine with no ill effects. This was a sd rated petrol oil. You cant buy sd rated oil any more as all the standards below sg have been deleted.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension