• Advertisement

Leaf Spring retaining clips.

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Leaf Spring retaining clips.

Postby BHORNY » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:43 am

Hi all, anyone know where to buy these in NZ?
My leafs are starting to come apart a bit and I can't find anywhere that sells them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BHORNY
Isuzu Baby

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn

Re: Leaf Spring retaining clips.

Postby isuzurob » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:23 pm

I sent my leaves to arches springs in rotorua got them rebent and extra clips fitted
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:41 pm

they dont look too hard to make
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:26 am

making them is easy i coulnt fint the soft peening rivits that they use to hold them to the leaf
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:26 pm

A long time ago I had the rivet break off on my springs due to the axle clamp coming loose. I replaced it with a 8mm high tensile bolt with the bolt head up and ground after tightening. It was a bit hit and miss as the hole in the axle bracket was egg shaped
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby BHORNY » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks for your help guys, you might recognize this Rob..
It's not that bad, you can see the leaves are just starting to slide apart a bit and the clip that is in there doesn't join at the top so it is bending apart a little.
I had thought about making them, I'll see what it costs to get done at archers, there's one in AK.
Cheers,
Aidan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BHORNY
Isuzu Baby

Postby isuzurob » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Hey good old whitey, that truck will never die, Those springs were always like that, and the band broke on the lh spring first time i went 4x4 with them in, so has been like that for ages, arches rotorua did them for me, just hit them straight with a hammer and make sure the u bolts around the diff housing are tight as the locker in the back tends to make them come loose if you drive it hard, have tightend mine twice in my swb, when we going 4x4ing?
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby BHORNY » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:24 pm

Ok, will do. Thanks for the tip.
As soon as I can get away for a trip i will man, since we have moved onto our little 12 acre farm I have been spending a lot of my time outside of work hours doing work on the property and animals so it's been hard to get away.
I'll take some pics of the truck and put them up, I've painted it. Old whitey has a tan now..
BHORNY
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension