• Advertisement

Tire size

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Tire size

Postby Tekanawa » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 am

Hi guys first time here, I've had a look through the forums, in hope of tire information. Now I have a 1992 irmscher, and currently have the standard 245/70/r16 (29inch I believe) so I am looking to put 265/70/r16 (31inch) and both times I've gone into tire places to get a price, they've both advised me not to get bigger tires.... To much strain apparently. I was wondering what you guys think because a lot of you guys have bigger tires and I haven't heard of too many extreme problems. So I'd like a general consensus on if it's okay to go bigger.
Cheers
Tekanawa
Isuzu Baby

City: hamilton
Vehicle: isuzu

Re: Tire size

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:24 am

9 out of 10 trucks of your model are running 265/70/16 tyres or bigger No issue
Life isnt always that simple though. First check your rims If they are 6 inch wide you need new rims You need at least 7 inch for that tyre and although some tyre shops will fit them you might get red flagged at wof time. Be careful with offset Space them out too wide and they will rub.
Is your suspension sagged at all. It does have to sag a fair bit before it causes issues
Speedo will read lower. On my Bighorn with the same tyre it was 98 at a gps 100 Ive just gone to a 265/75/16 tyre and speedo is spot on
I would be thinking that if a tyre shop doesnt want to sell you what you want the one round the corner most certainly will
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:27 am

Ive just noticed your age
Technically changing tyre size makes it a modified vehicle although Ive never heard of this tyre swap coming up as reason to force a low volume cert. In your case though because of your age insurance companies are already looking at you sideways and we all know they take any excuse they can to turn you down
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Tekanawa » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks greeves I'll take that into consideration and I'll check rim sizing, I'll found out about "modified" as the insurance is through my father. Cheers
Tekanawa
Isuzu Baby

City: hamilton
Vehicle: isuzu

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Whos driving the vehicle? Insurance cos love to avoid paying out and they see the owner as primary driver. If they find the main driver isnt the name on the insurance they have in the past refused claims.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension