• Advertisement

Second hand trans question

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Second hand trans question

Postby TriikorSFS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:48 am

I have a 96 bighorn plaisir 4JG2-T transmission is on the way out, its take a while to change into second. Check trans light is on.
I've found another trans from a 94 bighorn 4JG2-T this would be the same that i have correct?

Also what causes the seleted gear dash display (auto) to not display. When it doesnt light up the reverse lights and beeper dont work and sometimes when in park i cant start the truck without reselecting park. Is this due to bad transmission?
TriikorSFS
Isuzu Baby

City: Rotorua
Vehicle: bighorn 3.1td 4jg2

Re: Second hand trans question

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:22 am

second part is the inhibitor switch.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby TriikorSFS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks for information.
What i found on on google in some hyundai's a bad inhibitor switch can cause slow gear shifts. Would that be the same for my isuzu?
TriikorSFS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:30 pm

no but the speed sensor can. Also TPS and kick down cable can
Check trans can also be tps sensor.
By slow shifts do you mean late shifts?
What colour is your trans fluid?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby TriikorSFS » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Oh yeah sorry late shifts. 1st gear to 2nd gear RPM will get to about 4500 before changing unless I take foot of the gas.
Trans fluid is bright red/pink but I just got it flushed a month ago, previous fluid was slightly darker red
TriikorSFS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:52 pm

M money is on tps adjustment and kick down adjustment not trans replacement. It might be a faulty tps
The inhibitor switch is a bit of a nasty. It may just need adjustment but its an octopus that has components both sides of the floor. Speedo sensor might also be implicated but this would show as speedo error as well.
Auto sparky would be best placed to do these repairs. They are not hard but fiddly
Did you do the filter at the same time as the fluid?
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby TriikorSFS » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:57 am

I've found an inhibitor switch for $155 but i'll try get truck into a sparky first.
Does the tps and kick down usually break down that requires completely replacing?
Don't think i have speedo problems.
Also don't think filter was changed which was a mistake on my part for not asking for it.

Thanks alot for the information mate, hopefully all works out and don't need a new trans.
TriikorSFS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 am

TPS is often just adjustment but not expensive (compared to trans) kick down is only adjustment If it brakes it wouldnt change down when accelerating
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby TriikorSFS » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Took truck to a sparky today. What kind of sparky doesn't have the tools to check the TPS?
Well anyway what ever he did, I start the truck huge puff of blue smoke (never smoked before) trans check light and rear wheel display flashing as usual (torque on demand)
10min down the road check light goes out and rear wheel display stays lit. Gears shifting really well also.
Inhibitor switch requires replacing he said, was hoping something else could be done as it works fine when the truck is at operating temp.

I have yet to hand any money over, they want me to bring the truck back tomorrow and they will take it somewhere to get scanned.
With the check light gone out will this scan even give any codes?
TriikorSFS
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:47 pm

TOD has codes the trans has codes which at the very least should be reset.
Inhibitor switch is an ugly job I had mine done 5 years ago and made the mistake of accepting the auto sparky suggestion of a reconed unit at half price. They fixed it again 2 years ago.
Symptoms of inhibitor switch failure and all or any of the below
Light on dash to show which gear not always working
no reverse light
cant start
Its less troublesome once warmed up and wriggle the stick can clear the problem temporarily.
When mine first played up I kept a 2 meter piece of wire under the passenger seat so I could hot wire any time it didnt go. Had to do this twice in the dark and once in the rain but never in snow but thats because it never snowed
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension