• Advertisement

Clutch or gearbox fault???

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Clutch or gearbox fault???

Postby magicdeo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:54 pm

Gday. My mate has a 2003 rodeo with the 3.5 petrol and manual transmission. In his way to work the car popped out of 5th gear and wouldnt go back in. He got it into 4th but it made a horrible noise. He pulled over to investigate and he says that he has absolutely no drive in 1st and 2nd gear (he didnt try any others) and even in neutral it makes a horrible growling noiset. The noise goes away when the clutch is pressed in. This sounds like a stuffed gearbox yes? Cheers
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

City: Newcastle
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Re: Clutch or gearbox fault???

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Could be both but my money is on gearbox. Popping out of 5th wont be the clutch. Not going into 4th could be a clutch that didnt disengage but also could be a gearbox fault. No drive would mean the opposite fault in the clutch but the clutch obviously disengages as the noise stops
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Clutch or gearbox fault???

Postby magicdeo » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Thanks geeves. I am also suspecting gearbox. You must of misread the post as I said he did get it into 4th. But yes, your gearbox assumption sounds right. It selects all gears fine just has no drive
magicdeo
Isuzu Junior

City: Newcastle
Vehicle: 1997 Holden Rodeo

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension