• Advertisement

Auto-Hubs unlocking in reverse?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Auto-Hubs unlocking in reverse?

Postby WhiteTrash » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 am

Hi guys, great site and a real wealth of information.

I've recently acquired a stock UBS69 Bighorn with a 4JG2. I really like the truck due to its comfort, space but without being too big. Tday when having a little lightweight play around, I got it into a hole I needed to reverse out of. As soon as I loaded it up in reverse the R/F auto lock hub (I assume) semi unlocked and mad a god awful ratcheting noise and no front wheel drive. It would clunk a bit and when loading gently would engage but then as soon as the load ramped up, same thing. I got towed out no worries and then driving home going around a corner I got a big "clunk" from the right front and a horrible grinding whine like a bearing had collapsed.

After a bit of a poke around at the roadside I guessed the hub was locked back in (despite 2wd being selected) but it took a couple of really hard launches in reverse before it came unstuck and disengaged.

Is this a common fault or is it likely something is broken in the hub mechanism.

My plan is (if it makes sense) to lift the suspension a couple of inches. fit some slightly larger tyres and use it as a family truck but I'm wondering how much of the driveline I'll need to replace to get it reliable now. Or is the answer just fit a set of manual hubs?

Any advice gratefully received.
WhiteTrash
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 1992 UBS69 Bighorn, stock and boring.......for now

Re: Auto-Hubs unlocking in reverse?

Postby stardog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:20 pm

I had auto hubs on the wizard couldn't get rid of them quick enough what a pain in the ass.
No problems with the manual hubs I would be putting manual hubs on if I was you.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby geeves » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:00 pm

long term you should look at manual hubs. There was a couple of bighorns at picapart but I think the hubs are gone. Get second hand factory Asin hubs in preference to aftermarket.
Short term dismantalling and regreasing will probably fix them.
The Wizards had a free wheel in the diff which I thought was a good idea but a few people have had issues with them
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:38 pm

since I got rid of auto hubs fuel economy has improved as well.
I'm looking to get a a diff housing with out the soft system like the MU going to ring a few wreckers this week I want to get rid of all those vacuum lines so when I need 4x4 just throw the lever and lock the manual hubs in.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby WhiteTrash » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Awesome, thanks for the comments chaps. I think I'll get the front up and have a thorough going over the whole thing and see what needs doing. Replacing the hubs is as easy as just old ones off, replacements on? No other mods needed ya reckon?
WhiteTrash
Isuzu Baby

City: Wellington
Vehicle: 1992 UBS69 Bighorn, stock and boring.......for now

Postby stardog » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:46 pm

To easy changing hubs over you will notice the difference all you need now is a diff lokka in the front diff.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

Postby geeves » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:43 am

you need a different size circlip on the axle but thats all
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension