• Advertisement

Isuzu Bighorn handling

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Isuzu Bighorn handling

Postby chasbo58 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:51 am

Hi, just joined the club. Cool reading the info in the forums. I have a 1997 Bighorn and want to improve the handling, particularly onroad. The truck rolls and sways and generally is hard work around windy roads. Any advice out there in Isuzu Bighorn land?
chasbo58
I'm only here for the information

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Bighorn Plaisar

Re: Isuzu Bighorn handling

Postby geeves » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:23 am

Start with 34psi in the tyres and stiffer shock absorbers.Check all the suspension joints and bushes and also the sway bar linkages for excess play. Remember its a 2 ton truck built for strength not sports car like handling. Beyond that you have to make a choice. Off road or on road? Everything you do to improve on road or off road will reduce the abilities on the other. Stiffer roll bars will reduce roll and sway but reduce wheel articulation off road although you can make up sway bar disconects to get round this. Stiffer springs will harden the whole ride up but at cost of wheel travel. Lowering springs come at the cost of lost clearance but reduce center of gravity
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Isuzu Bighorn handling

Postby chasbo58 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:35 am

Thank you for the advice Geeves. I will upgrade the shocks first then start on the joints, bushes etc. Most of my driving is on road. Re the stiffer roll bars and other bits and pieces, any suggestions as to where I can source them here in NZ?
chasbo58
I'm only here for the information

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: 1997 Isuzu Bighorn Plaisar

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension