• Advertisement

Automatic Lockers (Lokka) legality

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Automatic Lockers (Lokka) legality

Postby doefmeister » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:47 am

Hi All,

I am hoping to fit Lokka brand automatic lockers to front and eventually rear of my UBS69. Now I have seen in other posts that the front will pass a WOF okay with manual hubs, however I was wandering if we can have clarification on the legality of a Lokka in the rear. I have had a good search around LVVA and LTNZ documentation, and all I can find is that a welded or spool diff will fail. Is there any hard and fast rules on traction modifiers like Lokka on a permanently driven axle?

Cheers Leon
doefmeister
Isuzu Baby

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: '92 Isuzu Bighorn Irmscher 3.1D

Re: Automatic Lockers (Lokka) legality

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Technically any traction aid would require certification but Ive never heard of anyone referred to the certifier for fitting any type of locker. As long as its not locked when the mechanic checks he wont even know its there. For the rear you will find that with an auto locker like Lokka that with one wheel on the ground you will be able to turn the free wheel with some effort. It might make a clicking noise. This is because the lokka allows a wheel to turn faster than the driven wheel. Use google and a long evening to find out how.
In the front the lokka will affect steering a little and fitting free wheel hubs overcomes this. the hubs will also allow a slight improvement in ecconomy
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension