• Advertisement

4wd wont engage any help will be appreciated

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

4wd wont engage any help will be appreciated

Postby Raymond05rodeo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:47 am

2005 holden rodeo ra 3.6 ltr petrol 5spd man Tried replacing the actuator n buttons on the dash an reseting the 4wd tried rocking back n forward tried both sotf and standing still for 4l neither 4h or 4l will engage ive only just brought the rodeo n not familuar with set ups help will be appreciated
Raymond05rodeo
I'm only here for the information

City: ELERMORE VALE
Vehicle: 2005 holden rodeo lt 4wd

Re: 4wd wont engage any help will be appreciated

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:07 am

I would of started with the basics. SOTF on your model is controlled by a computer. When you activate 4 anything the computer operates a switch in the transfer case to engage the gear then a second switch tells the computer this has happened At this point the 4wd light should flash. The computer then activates a solinoid on the front diff which locks the diff freewheel and a second switch tells the computer this has activated and the 4wd light goes steady. Most common failure is the vaccum to this diff solinoid. I dont know if a tech2 etc will diagnose the computer.
First test I would try is to see if the front driveshaft will turn by hand in 2wd and with 4wd turned on. It should turn in 2wd but not 4wd. Then lift the front left wheel and see if this is locked in 4wd. Tell us the results and we will advise from there
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby geeves » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 am

Also Ive deleted your double post
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Raymond05rodeo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks geeves ill check it out on thursday tomorrow n ill get back to you hoping to take the kids 4wdriving on the weekend as well so fingers crossed
Raymond05rodeo
I'm only here for the information

City: ELERMORE VALE
Vehicle: 2005 holden rodeo lt 4wd

Postby qayum1616 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:24 am

geeves wrote:I would of started with the basics. SOTF on your model is controlled by a computer. When you activate 4 anything the computer operates a switch in the transfer case to engage the gear then a second switch tells the computer this has happened At this point the 4wd light should flash. The computer then activates a solinoid on the front diff which locks the diff freewheel and a second switch tells the computer this has activated and the 4wd light goes steady. Most common failure is the vaccum to this diff solinoid. I dont know if a tech2 etc will diagnose the computer.
First test I would try is to see if the front driveshaft will turn by hand in 2wd and with 4wd turned on. It should turn in 2wd but not 4wd. Then lift the front left wheel and see if this is locked in 4wd. Tell us the results and we will advise from there

Hello there!
Since I'm having the same problem, can you help me too? I already tried to turn the front driveshaft by my hand in 2wd and with 4wd mode, it turned in 2wd but not in 4wd like you said but when I tried to spin the front left tyre in 4wd, it seems that it does not in 4wd (free spinning).

Thanks.
qayum1616
Isuzu Baby

City: Kangar
Vehicle: Isuzu D-MAX 3.0 4JH1-TC (2006)

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 pm

either diff or hub drive flange. try turning the cv shaft by hand with wheel on the ground It should not turn Try wheel up it should turn the wheel. Also if you turn the driveshaft by hand with wheels on the ground does either cv shaft turn
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby qayum1616 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:19 am

I tried to turn the cv shaft by my hand (both 4wd and 2wd mode), like you said it didn't turn when both wheels on the ground and when the wheels are off the ground, i did turned the wheel but there is some resistance at right wheels but it still spinable. I also tried to turn the front driveshaft with wheels on the ground, only the right wheel cv shaft turn a bit.
qayum1616
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

If it turned 1/10 turn then stoped that is normal. If it kept turning then the cv or drive plate is at fault
My money is on the dog clutch in the front axle. This is vacum operated and 9/10 faults are with the vacum supply
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby qayum1616 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:10 pm

Is this vacuum pump? Its making weird noise when the engine is started and do you think this is the problem or there is some leak between the vacuum pipe?
qayum1616
Isuzu Baby

Postby qayum1616 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:11 pm

qayum1616
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I dont know your motor but being petrol it takes the vacum straight from the manifold. If this was bad you would have no brakes. Its a matter of working through things one step at a time working backwards from the clutch to the ecu solinoids.
How do you know it isnt working? It might be iit hasnt detected slipage so hasnt activated
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Natek235 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:56 pm

HI all, I'm also having trouble with engaging 4wd. I have a 96 isuzu wizard, motors a 4jg2 turbo deisel. Model# UCS69GW. Now I've only had the truck a short while, and have been getting it back up to roadworthy standard as the previous owner was careless. So today, first time taking it off road and 4x4 wouldn't engage. Manual locking hubs, gear shifter from 2wd to 4h and 4l. No lights on dash no nothing. With gear in 4wd position the shaft won't turn like it does in 2wd. I'm unfamiliar with 4x4 so any advice on what I should look for or try next would be appreciated! Nate
Natek235
Isuzu Baby

City: Whangarei
Vehicle: 1996 Isuzu Mu Wizard

Postby geeves » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Manual hubs on a wizard will be aftermarket. They are a mod done by a previous owner to improve ecconomy but the amount saved is hardly worth it. Have a look underneath to see if there is a second housing on the front diff as a first step
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension