• Advertisement

steering box

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

steering box

Postby andy120 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:20 am

Any guidance on removing the box bearing in mind i cannot get the pitman arm off.
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards + 1 auto

Re: steering box

Postby geeves » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am

If you are replacing with a wreckers box dont worry about the pitman arm although it does get in the way. Easiest with radiator and under guards off. Crack the ball joint and remove the rh tie rod. Remove the input shaft Remove the 2 pipes which will spill oil everywhere remove the 4 bolts holding the box on remove and refit box and assemble in opposite order. fill and bleed power steering by lifting both wheels turn steering lock to lock a couple of times then repeat with engine running
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby andy120 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 am

We really appreciate your help with our wizards. It makes the jobs so much easier. We will have to cook out one ball joint. I don't think any bits in the steering have been replaced in a long time. One damaged my ball joint breaker it was that tight. It took the breaker on as heard as I could and then belting it with a hammer to pop it. The thread was caving in. I just have to get the idler opposite the box off.

Anne and Andy
andy120
Isuzu Junior

City: Gore
Vehicle: 2 manual Wizards + 1 auto

Postby geeves » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:04 am

Shouldnt heat cast steering parts. If the wof man sees evidence of heating he will demand that part is replaced. Best way to crack a joint is to wind the breaker up pretty tight then hit the side of the casting hard. (make that ***H^&^* hard) It should pop every time. I have broken a few ball joint splitters though. It can also be done with nothing more than a hit on the side although I have never had success with that method. X mechanic friend who was a member here many years ago swore by that method. He had a special hammer though. 1 pound head on a 1 meter handle
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension