• Advertisement

hill start assist question

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

hill start assist question

Postby lordworm » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:14 am

Hello everyone!

I have a Isuzu MUX 2016 4x4 LS AT going on 20ks - so fairly new.
I live in Auckland NZ so there are pretty much steep roads and hills here and there, last night I was driving into some steep street going downhill. I need to go back so I did maneuver the MUX to go back uphill.
I noticed that coming from R to D (while stepping on brakes) on uphill, my unit slides downwards like few inches after i remove my foot from brake and picks up when I step on the gas.

Is this normal? What I am expecting since it has "hill start assist", the unit should be in stationary mode after i remove my foot from brake on D gear.

Note: I did not try to wait how far it would roll downwards as it feels like its free falling on a neutral.
lordworm
I'm only here for the information

City: Auckland
Vehicle: Isuzu MUX LS

Re: hill start assist question

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:22 pm

HSA [hill start assist] I've worked on are a glorified hand brake release that release when you step on the gas.

if you only press a little on the gas pedal then the torque produced may not be enough to over come the gravity on a steep hill.

so give it a little more jandal then releas+e the handbrake so the load is already taken up , then you wont slide backward
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension