• Advertisement

Cracking sound drivetrain MU

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Cracking sound drivetrain MU

Postby tonkamu » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Did something from my last off roading trip at the sand dunes, I'm having trouble trying to find a loud crackling sound when letting go of the clutch in 1st, its also in reverse. seems to be happening when its getting torqued up.

I've checked gear box mount, universal joints, leaf eye bushings they're all good. The nuts on the rear u bolts were pretty loose and axle was wraping a good amount :oops: . I've tightened those up and theres now no axle wrap, I thought this was the problem but sound did not go away.

The sound is coming from centre near box. Can't hear the sound if I hold clutch in and roll down a hill onto level ground so its not the body. Sound only appears when torqueing drive train.

If anyone knows what else I can check it would be of much help, bad time of the year to be stuck with problems.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Re: Cracking sound drivetrain MU

Postby geeves » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Its amazing where sand and rocks can end up. A full underbody check could be in order takeing extra time looking at the exhaust and all the guards under the car for things that shouldnt be there. Beyond that try removing the rear drive shaft and putting in 4w effectivly driving front wheel drive. Dont do this for long as your transfer case will pump oil out as it drives like this.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby stardog » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Check your engine mounts as well and what condition are the uni joints if the bolts where loose I bet they will be shagged out or only other thing could be the diff on the way out.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby tonkamu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:19 pm

it was a broken body mount bolt in the rear, it must of jumped and grabbing.

I'll try drill it out. thanks
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension