• Advertisement

my collection of broken rear sway bar links

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

my collection of broken rear sway bar links

Postby geeves » Mon May 21, 2018 4:00 pm

In the last year Ive broken 3 of these. I normally take one off so the bar is held in place but doesnt do anything but put it back on wof day. The original broke which was the first time it had run without the sway bar. Its better on road with it but not much however off road its magic without. I can have one side bottom out the longest shocks I could fit while the other side is compressing the bump stop. Next wof buy a new one fit it get wof take it off and all was good with things untill my other car popped a radiator the day before my south island holiday. Put the link back on and did one very mild 4wd track in Cromwell. I was with a Freelander which will tell you how mild. Get home and the link is in 2 bits. Take them off and leave it like that untill wof day buy another link put it in get wof forget to remove before one family grade trip and yes I have a 3rd broken link.
The suspension lift is about 75mm
Any thoughts about a better easy disconect system?
I dont want to remove permanently as that would need certifying.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: my collection of broken rear sway bar links

Postby topgun94 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 pm

Dam NZ and there yearly WOF. Most aussies will have theirs removed. Have you looked into a longer link option?
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby geeves » Mon May 21, 2018 7:20 pm

yearly is for vehicles made after 2000. For the bighorn its still every 6 months
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby Renier » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:57 pm

You could install a disconect ing sway bar from a irmscher mine works magic just hit the button in the car and it's like I don't have a sway bar might not give you all the flex you get from a total disconect though
Renier
Isuzu Baby

City: Porirua
Vehicle: 3.1 turbo diesel bighorn

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Yes thought about that. Do remember this is the off road toy. It doesnt do a lot of road work.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension