• Advertisement

My 96 Wizard rear wheels screeching and clunking.....

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

My 96 Wizard rear wheels screeching and clunking.....

Postby kiwistanny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi all, I have a 96 Wizard that is making a screeching noise when I turn right and also clunking and feeling like it is binding somewhere. I have changed the rotors as they were thin and rusted and pads too. The right side had worn very unevenly. Hasn't fixed the problem at all and seems to be worse. Any ideas welcome? Bearings, brake piston not retracting??? Any help is very welcome. Thank you in advance :-)
kiwistanny
Isuzu Baby

City: WHANGAREI
Vehicle: Isuzu Wizard 1996

Re: My 96 Wizard rear wheels screeching and clunking.....

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Your not the first person to have this and I cant remember if it was resolved. You dont by any chance have an auto locker in there?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby tonkamu » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:21 pm

Sounds like my front brakes before, I had a seized up guide pin would make a clank/rattle sound from being uneven wasn't completely sitting flush on rotor. Try taking off the cradle and checking both guide pins, even take out piston if you want to give it all a good service/clean.
tonkamu
Isuzu Senior

City: Auckland
Vehicle: 2.8 Mu 1991 All Black. MODS - Rear Lifted 2.5" Lovells Leafs / Rear Auto Locker / LSD in front / 33x12.5x15 MT Achilles / 9500 RUNVA w plug n kills switch inside cab / EGT, Voltage, Turbo timer, Boost gauge / 20 PSI VF10 Turbo with VF10 exhaust housing 2.5" downpipe with merged 2" wastegate pipe to full 2.5" straight pipe / GFB Boost Tap / Maxed fuel with grinded down cable stop / Adjusted Boost Compensator / 3.1 Oil Cooler / Intercooled / 3" Custom intake to sealed K&N airbox & filter to Snorkel / Catch Can / Xtreme Outback HD clutch / 80 amp alt / RockfordFosgate 300rms AMP w 2X Rockford Power 6x9's BT HDeck / all EGR, QWS, AC pump deleted.

Postby kiwistanny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:38 pm

There is no auto locker on there no. One of the guide pins was stuck into the case and managed to get it out and clean it and re-lube and it was moving ok. The seal around the piston didn't look to great and have ordered a new caliper today to try that. The squeal definitely comes from the wheel but not sure about the clunking and grabbing. Had thought about dropping the oil on the diff to see what state that was in, but after finding the stuck pin, I thought I had found the problem, but apparently not. The pads were worn very uneven on the RH side with the squeal too.
kiwistanny
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm

unevenly worn pads can cause all sortsd of problems. You have new rotors they need to be matched to new pads and I would have a closer look at the left caliper as well. It could still be a diff bearing or gear as well but they generally give little trouble. Changing the diff oil will confirm. Do you have the G80 code on the build plate. If so you need to use lsd oil and standard oils can cause chatter
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby kiwistanny » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Had a good look at the left caliper whilst I was doing the pads and rotor on that side and it looked ok and everything was as it should be guide pin wise and pad wear. Thanks for the info on the build plate, will check that before getting the diff oil. It almost feels like the right side is 'dropping when you turn left and it makes the noise. Could this be the brake sticking on? It has well and truly got me after thinking it would be a simple rotor and pad change.
kiwistanny
Isuzu Baby

Postby kiwistanny » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks all for the advice so far. Have ordered a new caliper today and will see where we go from there. Been too wet to do anything the last few days and still have not dropped the diff oil, but will be doing. Thanks again
kiwistanny
Isuzu Baby

Postby mudslinger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:56 pm

have you looked at the handbrake? could be the shoes
mudslinger
Isuzu Master

City: CHCH
Vehicle: 91 mu 2.8TD manual

Postby kiwistanny » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Fitted the 'new' rear caliper and no more squeaking from the rear (hehe). The old Piston was seized so catching the rotor, and made even worse when new pads and rotor fitted.

Now have a completely split front outer CV boot to deal with and a very unhappy CV joint........now searching 'how to' within the group.
kiwistanny
Isuzu Baby

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension