• Advertisement

Alignment and dead spot issue

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Alignment and dead spot issue

Postby GOVONATOR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Hey!

I have just about finished overhauling my 1995 Bighorn SWB 4JG2. Loving every minute, love this car, and this site has helped me with so much (EGR blanks,
I have a niggle with the steering that has been present since I bought the thing, and I was interested to know what you guys think of it, as it is quite a strange niggle. The mechanics I've taken it to just brushed it off, 'too hard basket' or some other reason.

It goes like this:
1. Align steering wheel perfectly straight. Car goes straight, no problem.
2. From center position, turn steering wheel to the right. The mechanism engages immediately and turns the wheels to the right.
3. From center position, turn steering wheel to the left. There is a good Inch and half of nothing before the mechanism engages and the wheels start turning to the left.
4. So the result is that while driving straight and flat, the steering wheel is annoyingly floating in the left of center position.

I have found a few resources here and elsewhere, but before I started I was interested if anyone had seen this before. Or what could have caused it.

I will give it a go this week, and post some photos here as I go. I assume it is play in the Ubolt at the steering box, but as my brother says, assumption is the mother of all #%@$ ups.

Can't wait to get this fixed, it is the last job I need to do to make the SWB perfect! Then I can move on to the bloody front right speaker not working coz of a wiring problem somewhere %@&! ...
GOVONATOR
I'm only here for the information

City: AUCKLAND
Vehicle: 1995 BIGHORN SWB 3.1TD 4JG2

Re: Alignment and dead spot issue

Postby geeves » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Options are
u joint in steering shaft
steering box
any of the tie rod ball joints
idler arm
Only one you can adjust is the steering box the others are replacements
get a friend to turn the wheel back and forwards while you look for play
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension