• Advertisement

97 wizard RMD 30-43LE trans fault code 32 confusion

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

97 wizard RMD 30-43LE trans fault code 32 confusion

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Hope this helps someone

97 wizard 4jg2t [no inter-cooler] & RMD 30-43LE transmission, traveled 240k.

check trans light comes on following 2-5 minutes driving 0=60 & 0-100km/hr usually around 15 -65km/kr

short OBD pins 4+ 11 then key on to enter trans fault code.
code 32
rennacs says code 32 = faulty 2-3 shift solenoid.

trans fault code cleared [battery disconnect for 1 minute].

re drove and faulted within 2 min x3

warm washed trans and observed solenoid portion of trans loom rubbing trans housing, witness mark about 20mm from where it enters the transmission lower region [just above the pan left side, wrapped this area with a little amalgamating [doesn't unravel with dirt] tape.

re drove 3 x no fault yet [continuous blinking on shorting 4+11 then key on].

Wish me luck
4 of us are in it on 10 day holiday starting in 3 sleeps climbing mountains in Murchison.

Thanks heaps for all the excellent info here, really appreciated.

Kind regards Donald

update

went for 2 cruises on the local motorway 10 minutes each way x4 slow accel to 105 k shifted ok in the usual spots.

no check trans light , feeling like the cat who got the cream.
checked for fault codes, dang code 32.

shame.
anyone got a wizard trans wiring diagram even if it's in Japanese ?
I'll check both shift solenoids for low & hi resistance, without the diagram it'll be a guess as I wont know the shift from the lock up & pressure regulator unless they all test ok.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

City: mainland
Vehicle: wizard ucs69 4jg2t electronic pump & 30-43le trans.
Extra trans cooler in series & before radiator trans cooler.
airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Re: 97 wizard RMD 30-43LE trans fault code 32 confusion

Postby DonaldNZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm

It lasted the holiday but its not good. check trans coming on most trips now.
does some wierd stuff , like changes into a too high gear .

I found the trans ecu, as said where the clutch pedal box would mount.
I still get the check trans light coming on at >20kmhr.
I have the rear wheels off the ground

faults found sofar
L & R inhibitor switch need fixing because when L dash light goes off it seems to fail safe to D and accelerates. Could be a problem coming down a steep hill.
inhibitor switch coming off tonight , anyone ever stripped and cleaned one?

pin 12 br/bk appears to power up [12v until >20kmhr in D and all the time in P,N,R,L,2] as if its shift solenoid A 2-3.
pin 10 Br is same resistance does not power up as if its shift solenoid B 12-34

with trans ecu disconnected pin 12 & 10 are both around 12 ohm to ground.

putting 12v+ [via a headlight bulb in case things get nasty] to pin 12 and I hear a click in the trans pan

doing the same to pin 10 I get no click yet caqn measure current going into the trans pan 3 way connector

3 wire trans pan wiring above what looks like a speed sensor [blue]

tcu pin 12 - white
tcu pin 10 - yellow
don't know yet - black

anyone have any ideas ?
anyone got spare trans shift solenoids ?

anyone heard of this before, I wonder if the trans ecu is not switching the second shift solenoid on , sequentially it should be on for gear 2 in low and Drive,
but why is it not clicking when it electrically tests ok? gummed up ?

This vehicle sayt before I bought it
I changed the fluid a couple of weeks prior to this fault , although I hadnt driven it much, it may have been a historical fault , I dont know.

ebay uk have them about 20 quid each ++
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

airlift airbags in rear springs running 5-25psi, so far worked a treat, no longer bottoms out with 5 people and gear and still doesn't rattle me one up and empty. Watch the us paddle switches as my first pair leak. I've air electric replacements yet to fit.

Postby stardog » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:32 pm

There was a guy that was doing restro on a trooper on the isuzupup website in the USA a few years back he was putting a 4jg2t and auto into a petrol model .
If I remember right he had wiring diagrams for the auto box might be worth a look it was also a good thread to read.
I think it was titled super trooper restoration on the Isuzu pup website.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby DonaldNZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 am

Thanks
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Read super trooper resto, nope different his is 26 pin , mine is 24
his has different label number

UCS69.GW -7 107 4 1 2

ENGINE RJC TRANS RMD

trans id plate numbers
30-43LE
97HE415286

trans control module [tcm] numbers
8 97178 702 0
IY001067 97R

tcm has 24 pins 2 rows of 12
pin 10 shift solenoid 1-2 3-4 faulty Brown 12 ohm
pin 12 shift solenoid 2-3 ok brown / black 12 ohm
both draw 1A when connected to 12v

ive run each solenoid on a pulse generator while monitoring max current at around 2 hz for several hours to see if intermittent short in coil, no 1A.

measured trans output to shift solenoid 2-3 at 12v when solenoid on [p,r,n,l,2 & D<20kmhr
ok and operates as it should
measured output to shift 12-34 solenoid , 0.3-0.5 volts

solenoid supposed to be powered going fast in 2 and 3rfd gear in D, neither speed powers up solenoid

i've pulled out the trans ecu

measured device powering good 2-3 solenoid on trans ecu board
8055S 5 legs insulated 220

one leg powered all the time [guess supply]
one leg to solenoid [guess output]
one leg 0v [guess ground]
one leg 5v = off 0v = on [guess control]
one leg 5v =off 5v = on [not sure it's purpose, yet to check when engine cold in case this is used to control shift]

measured device powering suspect solenoid
all same except output and control leg which stays on 5 v and does not go to 0v to turn on [guess control]

on testing with board removed and meter on diode test suspect solenoid curcuit device shows two legs relative to output as open circuit when compared to good device

questions: has anyone had this before ?
has anyone had a crook transistor that holds the input to the transistor at 5v ?
has anyone had a crook transistor in trans ecu causing a fault code for the wrong circuit, [code 32 is shift 2-3 yet 12-34 is crook}?
anyone know datasheet on 8055s 220 insulated device ?
anyone know where to buy one

anyone have pinout on trans computer

anyone have a spare tcm?
Last edited by DonaldNZ on Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:50 pm

Had some limited success,

swapped one 8055S transistor in the faulty circuit shift solenoid 1-2 3-4 with the same number transistor driving solenoid 2-3.
the purpose to see if the faulty trans shift solenoid swaps with the transistor.

on powering up I discover transmission working correctly, on discussion with an electronics expert friend he has experience of a faulty transistor start working correctly after the heat of soldering.

so if you have a check trans light, code 32 shift 2-3 solenoid faulty, your solenoid measures around 1 amp at 12v, Id suggest you check the 8055s power transistor.

It worked ok for two sessions of an hour last night and again for an hour this morning. I'll take the back axle off the blocks and test drive next.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Sat May 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Lasted about a month, like my mate said a faulty transistor had lasted post soldering iron, tait radio / ham life experience.
I ought another second hand trans ecu. It felt really good, lasted about 3 months and now doing the same fault again after ten minutes.
I wonder about an intermittent fault in the shift solenoid circuit. I have monitored it heaps [not enough] and not seen a problem yet either hi low or short to ground

original trans ecu currently getting new 8055s transistors fitted by my mate.

I'm considering adding relays in series betweeen the trans ecu and transmission shift solenoids. to isolate the ecu from the solenoids.

so it harder for the solenoids to destroy the trans ecu driver transistors.

will probably need resistors in addition to the relay winding otherwise the trans ecu will see a out of span solenoid resistance and go to limp mode.
the relay outputs will get 3A fuses and suppression diodes across the shift solenoids.

I'm wondering about some manual switches, anyone seen a paddle shift kit that was nice ?

when it faults you have low when in low and 4th [overdrive on] everywhere else and depending on which solenoid circuit fails, there's no 2nd [or 3rd , cant remember] , it goes to neutral, bit frightening when you kick down out of a corner.

A little freaky for the lover driving down the 5000' mountain if she goes to 2nd and it goes into top.
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Postby DonaldNZ » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:35 pm

update 7/ 2019

one shift failed all the time now

I've updated solenoid pins to what I think is accurate

pin 12 shift solenoid 11 ohm
pin 11 shift solenoid 11 ohm
pin 10 lock up solenoid 11 ohm

$200+ gst both shift solenoids x2
$50 + lock up solenoid

ebay.com US$40 not sure if correct
DonaldNZ
Isuzu Junior

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension