• Advertisement

Front disc rotors, stuck, help!!?

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Front disc rotors, stuck, help!!?

Postby rcolijn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:04 pm

HI all,

I have totally buggered my front discs, was way up the alps when the sound started appearing, turned out the blocks were warn out, still had a 1000 k to go, aough. Its a Isuzu Mu 1993 2.8 TD btw. Anyways, I want to machine or replace them discs but am stuck, can't get them off, here is what I got to:

1) removed wheel
2) removed brake calipers
3) removed blocks, one was down to metal
4) removed the Aisin hub (6 outer boltes, 6 inner allan keys, 3 little philips screws)
5) removed the 6 bolts holding the disc down

I dont know how to proceed from here (where to pull, push,lever etc). The disc is loose but I dont have a clue how to proceed from here getting the hubs off, or more importantly getting the discs off :)

Anyone tips????

Photos attached of the last stage till now.

Thanks from a mechanic wannabee lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

City: Perth
Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Re: Front disc rotors, stuck, help!!?

Postby Yarno » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:34 pm

The plate that you took the three screws out of will slide out (it's a locking plate), then you'll see the nut which you unscrew to loosen the bearings and the hub should then come off.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby turnturn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Also adding to what Yarno has already said when you come to slide the rotating assembly (dic rotor, hub, bearings and seal) off they can be a wee bit stubborn as you are sliding two bearing inner races off you stub axle and a seal off a slightly larger diameter sealing journal.
If you are getting the discs machined you probably didn't need to remove the 6 larger bolts holding the disc on to the hub. This can probably be machined as an assembled unit. The minimum the disc can be machined down to is cast into the disc somewhere.
You may even want to re-bolt the disc to the hub to remove the hub from the stub axle.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby rcolijn » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:13 pm

Duh, that was soo simple it was not funny any more lol. They are now both off, 10 minutes work!!!! You guys rock, thanks soo much!

So now I am left with a mistery, only one of the three pads was completely worn , as in metal, I'll post a picture later. Also only one side of the discs was totally worn, and the other three looked fairly unworn. Does that mean that the pistons in the brake calipers of the other 3 dont work?

If so, do I have to replace both discs, or can I get away with only replacing the one which was terribly worn?
Also, are these all Rodeo TF parts?
And, whilst there would it be usefull to replace the wheel bearings (no play if I rock the wheel)?

Sorry to ask soo many questions, I am just learning mechanics and am lovin it, the MU rocks!!!

If one of you are ever near Gunning NSW come and grab a beer, or two!!!

Ronald
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Vehicle: Awesome Isuzu Mu, 2.8 TD, Adjustable shocks, AT Tyres, no backseat, 2.5" exhaust. Heavy Duty battery, custom snorkel, custom roofrack, custom centre console, custom rear door kitchen, carpet with extra underlay, Clarion sounds system, K&N airfilter, D694 tyres, bucket seats, extra lights in rear cabine, custom tow bar bracket, Nudge bar, 3 spotties, rear camping light, Second battery setup, rest is **still* standard :)

Postby Yarno » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:44 pm

The one with the worn out pad will probably have a seized slide . Not sure what will be wrong with it but might be rust and may need replacing or regreasing.

For discs and pads you need to ask for 91 Jackaroo 2.8TD ones (I think TF would be the same but the rear is obviously different), and I would replace both discs if one is stuffed, you want both the fronts to be equal for stopping straight.

Just repack bearings with new HTB (High temp bearing) grease.
Yarno
FAQ Team

City: Brisbane
Vehicle: Isuzu MU 93 V8 monster, Toyota Landcruiser 200 sahara. MU 1996 3.1.

Postby geeves » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:42 am

Ive replaced one disc only in the past.If its a rough hack this will be ok but it takes a long time for the pads to bed in properly and the brakes will pull to one side till they do. Even more so if you use hard pads like the bendix 4x4.
If your doing 1000km journeys I would recomend both. After market new ones are not expensive
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby rcolijn » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:33 am

Excellent, thanks, I think I found a set on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... Track=true which might work, I allready bought Bendix pads so I think I'll replace them both.

I'll also check the working of the worn out one's caliper for proper operation.

Whilst there I might as well replace the brake fluids too, wonder when they were last done....

Thanks very much guys!
rcolijn
Isuzu Junior

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:38 am

All the good books say replace brake fluid every 3 years. Noone does
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension