• Advertisement

locking wheel nuts

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

locking wheel nuts

Postby geeves » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

what is peoples opinion on locking wheel nuts?

(there is a tale to tell but well see oinions first)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: locking wheel nuts

Postby muzila » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:38 pm

Locking wheel nuts are ok.
I have them on my MU with the factory wheels. They can't be removed with out the key to get them off. :mrgreen:
Having said that I have had a full set of mags and wheels stolen even with lock nuts!!!! :twisted:
The mag shop showed me how the little darlings :evil: (family show u no! :D ) got them off. Not sure weather I should share that info here or not. :?:
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby monty » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Locking wheel nuts are only there as a deterent, same as every other security device, and deter the honest criminal. car dealers here fit lock nuts to mags as soon as the new cars are delivered but have still had mags stolen. They just slow them down and hopefully look for an easier target.
monty
Isuzu Baby

City: brisbane
Vehicle: 1993 3.1 mu
1991 2.8 mu

Postby geeves » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:13 am

Yes honest thieves are lazy and will move to a easier target. But if they want our nice mud tyres these locking nuts aint going to stop them. They will barely slow them down.

Ive just made the mistake of leaving the key on the nut and driveing off. I needed to get the wheels off so had a go with certain common tools and not enough noise to be heard in the house. The rear nuts took about as long as the other 5 nuts to undo and no scratches on the mag The fronts were a little harder but same technique because of the free wheel hub One took 15 minutes the other about double that. If anyone else has a good reason to need the method they can pm me and let me know why they need to know.
Normal nuts only now
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:55 pm

Wasn't a good pair of vice grips was it or a welder and old socket. you can take them off with a sledge hammer if you dont care about the studs too Personally I think that they are a complete waste of time Ive taken too many off with out the key -and it wasnt because i was stealing mags
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension