• Advertisement

Diff to spring measurements

Get help fixing your Isuzu from other club members

Diff to spring measurements

Postby geeves » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:53 pm

After going out with my largest tyres on this weekend I had an ongoing problem with one rear wheel rubbing the guard. A quick measure at home shows the diff isnt sitting in exactly the same place on the left and right spring with the left being about 1 cm further back than the right. The question is though which side is wrong.
Could I get a couple of people to crawl under there trucks please and measure from the centre of the front and back eye to the centre of the diff so I can work out the correct alignment and fix. As this measurement is dependant on the set of the spring the measurements will be different but its the difference between back and front thats important
Tyres that are a true 32 inches are a tight fit on an 89 bighorn with only a 50mm suspension lift at the best of times It doesnt take much to make them rub
thanks
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Re: Diff to spring measurements

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:16 pm

I thought that the bolt through the spring pack held the diff in place unless the u-bolts have come loose
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:02 am

Ive had that problem in the past. On the side I thinks wrong as well
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby muzila » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Now let me get this right. Your rear diff has shifted forward or rearward on one side???

I ask this because I had to replace the bushes in my rear shackles in the drivers side because they where chewed to bits. The other side is fine.
After putting it back together we found that the diff is in the wrong place hence twisting the shackle and damaging the bushes. I was going to loosen the bolts on that side and let it slip back into place.
Is there an actual locating pin in there to hold the diff where is should be??
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby slightlydodgy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm

The bolt through the centre of the spring pack sits in a hole on the plate on the diff housing and then the whole lot is held by the u bolts
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby geeves » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:58 pm

I dont know if this is how its meant to be but the hole in the diff bracket is about 5 or 6mm bigger than the bolt through the spring pack. I have had one spring pack break the pin and dislodge all the leaves. This is the suspect side but without a measurement or two it might be the other side thats wrong
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby slightlydodgy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:29 am

thats interesting, when I replaced my spings I had to take the allen bolt out of the old pack because the standard bolt in the new one wouldnt fit in the hole
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

Postby geeves » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:40 am

When it last came loose it did a bit of unrepaired damage. Looks like Ill have to take the other side as correct and match this side to it.
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Return to Drive train, Steering and Suspension