• Advertisement

Addicted to Amigos

Show us your Rig!

Addicted to Amigos

Postby importarchive » Wed Jun 05, 2024 4:29 am

Hey all! Just joined the site and wanted to share my little addiction to the 2nd-gen Isuzu Amigo/Rodeo Sport. (Yeah, I'm in the US)

1. 1999 Amigo 2.2L M/T 4WD H/T "Suzi"
My first Isuzu! I learned to love the platform, but hated the 2.2L 4-cyl. Plus, since she grew up in NY State she had a frame that was so rusted that I just didn't trust it.

2. 2001 Rodeo Sport 3.2L M/T 4WD S/T "Suzi Q"
Learned to stay away from the 2.2L and focus on V6 models, I found this beautiful, loaded, low-mile unicorn (V6, 4WD, M/T) north of Seattle. I also learned that the unicorn wasn't ever offered with a hard top, likely due to sticker price, so I would have to convert her from soft top down the road.

Fast forward. The hard top conversion was simple. Just needed a donor that I found easily enough. This is one of my favorite vehicles that I've ever owned!

3. 2001 Rodeo Sport 3.2L A/T RWD H/T "Sluzi"
I didn't really want an A/T 2WD rig, but she was SO clean and the price was right. I bought her, drove her, then sold her to the mayor of Tequila Mexico where she is probably still being driven today.

4. 1999 Amigo 3.2L M/T RWD H/T "Bluzi"
She didn't run, but it wasn't tricky to fix her up. I drive her around for the summer and then sold her off.

5. 1999 Amigo 3.2L M/T 4WD S/T "Wuzi"
Again, the addiction kicks in. Spotted this one while driving through an area with a lot of used car lots. They didn't know her value so I bought her for a steal. Cleaned her up and slipped her for a few thousand in profit. The addiction pays off!

6. 2000 Amigo ?.?L A/T ?WD H/T "Duzi"
Sad. She didn't run. DOA. But... she had a hard top and other parts that I needed. I had to drive across the entire state to tow her home, but it was worth the investment to convert Suzi Q to hard top.

When I became a father I had to give up on my two-doored cute ute addiction, so I upgraded to a Wrangler Unlimited... but my little one is big enough to climb into a back seat now, so the searches are set and I am on the lookout for number seven!
importarchive
Isuzu Baby

City: Portland
Vehicle: Various Amigos/RSs

Re: Addicted to Amigos

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:24 am

Why did you get a Wrangler instead of a Rodeo? Now you have a family the Rodeo might be your next project. As a bonus they do come with the diesel engine although it is only 2.5 litre but as long as you can find one its an easy swap to a 3 litre 4jh1. Even the 2.5 goes ok and as long as you maintain it you wont be able to kill it. Look up 4ja1t engine. They are million mile engines
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby importarchive » Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:19 am

geeves wrote:Why did you get a Wrangler instead of a Rodeo? Now you have a family the Rodeo might be your next project. As a bonus they do come with the diesel engine although it is only 2.5 litre but as long as you can find one its an easy swap to a 3 litre 4jh1. Even the 2.5 goes ok and as long as you maintain it you wont be able to kill it. Look up 4ja1t engine. They are million mile engines

It came down to the removable roof. I've had a lot of convertibles and I love open-top motoring. I had only four choices in 2017 when it came to four doors and no roof: a Wrangler Unlimited, a 1960s Lincoln Continental or a VW Thing. I came very close to buying a Continental, but was talked out of it by several owners because the maintenance and repairs would cost an arm and a leg!

I'm in the US and the Rodeo wasn't available with a diesel engine here. It's old enough that I could import one from Japan, I suppose... but I'd rather find myself another 2000s Rodeo Sport and make her the best version.
importarchive
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:57 am

I knerw you were in the US and we have had a few usa members here that have had the rodeo with the 4ja1 engine. I thought it was standard over there. To import one from Japan it would have either the 4jg2 engine up to 98 or the 4jx1 engine. It would also have a coil sprung rear where yours are leaf.
Biggest problem with the continental is you need to take a packed lunch when walking around it. They are big cars. VW had a few convertibles but most were quite small. My father in law has a 1990 golf convertible a Passat and a beetle based porche 351 replica. To keep convertible your choices were limited
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby importarchive » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:43 am

The Lincoln has special significance in my family, as my grandparents had a custom-painted copper one back in the 60s. If it weren't for the nightmare maintenance issues I probably would have bought this black one for $15k back in 2017. It needed some work, but it ran and drove pretty well. I kind of regret not buying it.

I also have a sweet spot for VWs, as my first two cars were an 87 Jetta GLi and an 81 Rabbit with a GTI 16V swap. I gotta say, I don't miss working on German cars, though! Once I went Japanese I never looked back.

importarchive
Isuzu Baby

Return to Members Rigs