• Advertisement

Steve's Bighorn (low budget)

Show us your Rig!

Steve's Bighorn (low budget)

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Description: 1988 2.8tdi Bighorn.

Brought for $1200 nz was a bit of a dog at first, have transplanted most things from 1987 2.8tdi de-registerd Bighorn i paid $200 nz for, but was in better condition than legal one (cost of re-registering it here would have been to great as we have vary stricht regulations here for vehicles imported after 1990 and as it was not imported till 93 wich means it would of had to pass new vehicle import tests) even the engine is from the 87 now as other engine blew after oil filter seal pop'd at 100kmh, bodywork is a bit dented and paint pitty much past its sell bye date but mechanically now vary sound.

Renewed and Replaced: LH inner upper wishbone bushes, RH lower ball joint, RH front shock, clutch slave cylinder, oil pressure fule and temp gauges, fule cut off solenoid, drive shaft to rear diff, heater, front and rear seats, bonnet and boath back doors, im shure theres more but to much to remember.

All work including engine change carried out by myself, starting to feel ive a good understanding of boath truck and engine.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: standard
Body Lift: none
Tyers/Wheels: standard 16" with Maxxis Bravo 753 MT Mud tyers 205/R16
Traction Aids: none
Bullbar: standad
Engine: 4jbit with EGR removed and gas flowed inlet manifold
Exhaust: standard
Air con: removed
Sound system: pretty old and not to good ;)

Planned improvements: A snorkel at some point, Raise the back by placing axle under leaf springs
and a ISUZU badge for front grill if anyone has one lying around.

May not be the flashest 4x4 but has brought me endless hours of good 4x4 fun :D

Picture 068 (Small).jpg
Picture 080 (Small).jpg
Picture 087 (Small).jpg
Picture 094 (Small).jpg

Im sure i can get a few more years out of her :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

City: Bluff
Vehicle: Bighorn lwb 1988 4jb1-t 5 speed manual

Re: Steve's Bighorn (low budget)

Postby slightlydodgy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:45 pm

You might want to consider longer rear shackels or new springs and bigger tyres before a SOA job -no welding and no cert
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Unfortunatly finaces wont allow for any more improvements at this time and cant really see them changeing in next 6 months to year so vary limmited as to improvements i can make
thanks anyway for the info it will be logged and maybe implicated in the distant future

as far as i was aware i can drop axle without any welding or certification
---------------------------------- 8-) You Gotta Love This Life 8-) ------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------Steve---------------------------------------------------
steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:14 pm

SOA will not be an easy ask to get certified unless its factory. Have a look at early Cherokees to see extra supports. The drop axle you are talking about is a front diff drop on ifs. Only required if you have a lift and the lift only escapes cert if all the parts were made for the isuzu.
This is of course dependant on your wof mechanic noticing
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 pm

thanks alan

forgive me if im a bit uneducated in this i was led to beleave i could simply drop the axle under the springs and flip the mounting u bolts allowing me to re attach it

cant see this beeing to much of a problem as local mechanic who carrys out my warrents said it was simple as that

but i am relitavly new to 4x4 vehicles so maybe i have been misinformed

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:02 pm

http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/tech/SOA/
A good article on the subject. Talk to a certifier before starting. The talk is free and may save a few migraines later
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks alan will cheak it out

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks again alan i see there is a little more to this than i originally thaught, cant see me rushing into this one
at this point in time,

Having the right info allways helps :D

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 am

Hi All
Been a while since I have Been around
With great sadness I have to say my 4JB1-T 1988 bighorn has passed on :(
DSCF4578 (Medium).JPG

After towing a small caravan from bluff to motueka the big ends gave up on me while on holiday this Xmass
Unfortunately the body and running gear was to far gone to warrant replacing or rebuilding the engine
This was unfortunate as motueka is almost as far from home as you can go in the south island.

On a brighter note :) I managed to pick up a 1995 4jg2 bighorn for a stupidly low price ($2000) which dose have a small crack in the head which was temporely sorted with a bottle chemweld from holts enabling me to return home with the caravan
Think I have located a head already for it so hopefully should be all sorted by next week
DSCF4577 (Medium).JPG

So life provides as one Isuzu passes on another steps into replace it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby geeves » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 pm

long time no see. Pity about the old bighorn good luck with the new one. It would be interesting to see how long the chemweld lasts. Its virtualy the same as the Ironite I have recomended in the past
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Good to see you Alan
Yea it was a shame she served me well for a few years
Wont get to see how long the chemweld lasts I found another head so it should get done in the next few days but the kemweld did well towing a caravan 1200 km big headwinds on the way back yesterday didnt loose a drop of water
Best to sort it out now then i can relax about the engine

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 pm

DSCF4586 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4584 (Medium).JPG
DSCF4585 (Medium).JPG

I do have to say it is much more comfortable and smoother to drive than my old bighorn :D

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 pm

a shame about your old truck, but like you said you have a newer nicer model now, what are you doing with your old trucks??
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby steveNZ » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I traded my old truck against this one sorry

steveNZ
Isuzu Senior

Postby isuzurob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:17 pm

ok then thats all good worth asking, hope you get a good run out of your new one
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Return to Members Rigs