• Advertisement

My Wizard.. New here

Show us your Rig!

My Wizard.. New here

Postby boxxy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 am

Description:
Hey, new to the forums.. have had my Wizard for around 18 months, and have been slowly modding it since day 1. Origionally from wellington so used to head around the coast, and had a few trips into the akkas. Now living in twizel, looking forward to going up a few rivers in summer
Cheers,
Tim

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: 3.5” Lift using cheapie Bighorn lift springs and Rancho 5000s, Swaybar disconnects to come
Tyres/Wheels: 16x8 Steelies, sealed and 2pak blacked 265/75 KL71s
Traction Aids: MU manual hubs / rear lokka planned for spring
Spot lights and Lighting: 2x Cibie Oscars sitting in the cupboard
Engine: 4JX1 with new ORPS / OCD oil changes and disabled EGR. Water to air intercooler sitting on the bench with radiator and pump, waiting for the rest of the bits to turn up and will be putting it on
External: cut the guards for front wheels, waiting for sept for a safari snokel)
Dreams: 1uzfe using the 4l30e and current transfer case

Pictures:
2” Lift
Round the coast
New lift in
Found a rock
boxxy
Isuzu Baby

City: Twizel
Vehicle: 98 Wizard 3.0 TD, 3.5" Lift, 32" Kumhos

Re: My Wizard.. New here

Postby scruff123 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:15 pm

hey nice rig! hows the front end holdng up? ne probs with cv's with the big lift?
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Postby boxxy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:44 pm

i already had a clicky CV (big foot, rock face, my fault) when i went up the extra 1.5" sooo.. will be interesting to see how the new chinese one holds up
the manual hubs *aparently* make a huge difference to the longevity compared to the drive plates as the cv only spins when it needs to, just have to be cautious of the 4wd button
The guys over at planetisuzoo seem to get away with 5"s out of the front, so fingers crossed they will be fine as long as i'm not stupid :lol:
boxxy
Isuzu Baby

Postby oompalompa » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:12 pm

nice truck dude. dont know how the lokka will go in the back. the do work well tho. i have one in the front wiith manual hubs so i can 'turn it off'. would be interested to here the results
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby Captcol » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Nice truck, good to see another wizard around, even tho it is flasher and more modified than mine
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby wbski007 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:28 pm

nice looking Rodeo, wizard, frontara, how many names does the same vehicle have anyway?? I'm loosing count.
I live in my own little world, but its OK they know me here.
Happy Trails, Wayne
wbski007
Isuzu Guru

City: Mary Esther
Vehicle: 1998 Isuzu Rodeo,with a 2001,2.5 turbo diesel motor,5 speed,inter-cooler,turned up fuel,adjusted waste gate for 14 psi of boost,air bags under front end with torsion bars ,2.5 exhaust straight thru sidepipe no muffler.
1949 Dodge 2 1/2 ton pumper fire truck, 15,000 original miles, with a 1991 Cummins 5.9 diesel, turned up fuel, 5 speed trans, two speed rear, also added P/S, P/B.

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:32 am

5 inches comes with lowering diffs and other nasties. With the current situation in NZ I would have a long talk to a certifier before commencing. (theres something in the pipeline but Im not allowed to say anything at this stage)
I belive your model has the electric free wheel on the diff. If so the drive plates would spin the axles all the time and fitting free wheel hubs overcomes this. Its only advantage is on the road where you get a little better ecconomy and power. Its a common mod on Toyotas but the first Ive heard about on a Isuzu.
Do Not ever use the chinese CV joints. This forum is full of bad stories about them. Better to get second hand originals. Clicking is not nessecsarily a failure but evidence of wear. It may carry on like that for years I have one like this Its been clicking loudly for 3 years.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby boxxy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:58 am

geeves wrote:5 inches comes with lowering diffs and other nasties. With the current situation in NZ I would have a long talk to a certifier before commencing. (theres something in the pipeline but Im not allowed to say anything at this stage)
I belive your model has the electric free wheel on the diff. If so the drive plates would spin the axles all the time and fitting free wheel hubs overcomes this. Its only advantage is on the road where you get a little better ecconomy and power. Its a common mod on Toyotas but the first Ive heard about on a Isuzu.
Do Not ever use the chinese CV joints. This forum is full of bad stories about them. Better to get second hand originals. Clicking is not nessecsarily a failure but evidence of wear. It may carry on like that for years I have one like this Its been clicking loudly for 3 years.

I dont plan to go higher up.. it brings in other issues like the upper arm hitting the gas tank, longer rear arms...
The wizard doesn't have the TOD but does have "push button" 4wd hi, and the drive plates meant the front diff spun full time. Economy and power are definatly better.. but my thoughts were saving the cvs from spinning/wearing
:( do the chinese CVs smash easy or just wear fast or both?? i got 2 incase the other spat the dummy, so will carry that round when i go for a decent trip

oompalompa wrote:nice truck dude. dont know how the lokka will go in the back. the do work well tho. i have one in the front wiith manual hubs so i can 'turn it off'. would be interested to here the results

Cheers fulla, I have a few reasons for doing the back first.. Im sick of spinning the inside tire when i "take off viguously" round a corner, we get a bit of snow / ice up here and ive heard bad things about front lockers and icey roads (rears are probly just as dodgy), it saves going into 4wd as often and the rear diff is stronger.
Will let you know how it goes when i get one and its in!
boxxy
Isuzu Baby

Postby Captcol » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:07 am

looking at a LSD diff head may be cheaper, keep meaning to check mine to see if it is LSD or not, will get the jack out at some stage
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby scruff123 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:13 am

could you post a pick of your cv angle? cheers
scruff123
Isuzu Guru

City: Kerikeri
Vehicle: 93 standard bighorn 3.1 diesel, mitsubishi pajero 3ltr v6 swb on 36's

Postby boxxy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:19 am

scruff123 wrote:could you post a pick of your cv angle? cheers

Here you go...
from the front

and back.. im thinking that rusty water isnt a good sign :oops: .. might have to look into that when it warms up

boxxy
Isuzu Baby

Postby oompalompa » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:35 am

Captcol wrote:looking at a LSD diff head may be cheaper, keep meaning to check mine to see if it is LSD or not, will get the jack out at some stage

thats a point, you could look into putting a lsd in the rear. thats what i have and go most places, can still go into low range and just put the hubs in just be fore i need to ... hopefully
oompalompa
Isuzu Senior

City: christchurch
Vehicle: 95 bighorn 3.1td
265/75/16 muds
LSD rear/ Lokka front
50mm rear suspension lift
50mm front Torsion bar lift
Ball joint flip
ECB front winch bar
Rear bumper removed
Airflow Snorkel
Roof cage

Postby boxxy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 pm

oompalompa wrote:
Captcol wrote:looking at a LSD diff head may be cheaper, keep meaning to check mine to see if it is LSD or not, will get the jack out at some stage

thats a point, you could look into putting a lsd in the rear. thats what i have and go most places, can still go into low range and just put the hubs in just be fore i need to ... hopefully

Have thought about this, but it runs a modified dana 44, so its not the same as an earlier wizard or the corp 12 bolt, and wreckers want gold for anything "newish" and then i would probly locker it after a while anyway.. might as spend a bit more money and do it properly to start with!
boxxy
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Dana44 ???? The american ones got that axle but why does yours?
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby boxxy » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:23 am

not sure.. i wish it had a 12 bolt.. would be a lot easier
is 4.3:1 just like the yanky rodeos

heres a pic.. excuse the phone camera

boxxy
Isuzu Baby