• Advertisement

My %#$* MU

Show us your Rig!

Re: My %#$* MU

Postby geeves » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:42 pm

I have a spare pump here. Its been sitting over a year put all the inlets and outlets are taped. Still a major to change and it was a wreckers special so condition unknown. Worst comes to worse it could be a swap out with a diesel shop.
Should only be able to leak in 4 places
Outlets to injectors. Should just need a tighten
O ring under top cover this is an easy fix but need the proper o ring. It has been done with a round o ring but not a nice way
seal in the accelerator shaft. Cheap seal but a @##$^&%^%$^) to get at Thats where mine leaked just after low sulphur diesel was released Local shop changed it with pump in place then apologised for charging more than there quote. Final price was still a quarter of the next lowest quote
Front seal. This is a standard type seal so fairly easy once you have the pump pulley off which means radiator out timing belt off etc. If its this seal then it will get very worse suddenly. Lewises bighorn went this way using a half tank of diesel in 50km
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:54 pm

Cheers man, I', hoping tomorrow I can see where it's coming from. I can see its not the top cover or the accel shaft, nor does it seem to be from the front, and I think I did the front seal when I did the crank job which was 20k ago.
Had a look at a few pics and builds online and didn't anything that looked to hard, just a lot of work. Guess I'll dive in and see what I find!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Postby geeves » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 am

only option left is a loose injector line which should just need a tweak up
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:09 am

it will be the top seal the o ring twists, pump the primer til its hard and just keeping pumping it will leak, if seals are damaged, can leak out the disributor head and pump body but is rare, shaft oring and top seal are the same to do, not hard just time
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:16 am

It could be leaking out the block side and running down the side and underneath. Its totally dry on the left hand upper side and front
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:36 pm

What a %#$@ of a day. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, why is everything on my MU so #$%%ing tight??
Got a fright when I started this morning and found you have to pull the hub off to allow the b/j to clear the c/v shaft :x
I had to cut the tie rod balljoint off. Previous person in there had done it up so tight the thread was stripped :(
Had to cut the top b/j off as it would not move and I have no splitter that would fit.
Bottom one popped out once I got the hub off, but the top taper is still stuck in there. Taking it to work tomorrow where there's a few more tools to try. Might have to use a little heat.

As for the leak, hardly had a chance to look at it, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from:

After doing Rob's tip and pumping the primer (I'd given everything thing a good clean yesterday) I can see diesel coming from the block side of the pump underneath. It's dry to the touch around the top etc. Hope that will last a 600k road trip because there is no way I have the time to do that before Friday :?

Was planning on doing body lift after next weekend so pulling the pump won't be too much more work. Ha!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:06 pm

you can get those plates off in place, did it in a bighorn, there is normal orings behind the plates, they are common to leak also (more in hilux pumps though)
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:10 pm

It's the plate on the engine block side, not the one on the passengers side of the pump.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 pm

Just had another look, I think you maybe right, remove the inlet manifold and I might just be able to do it
Also it definitely is that cover, looking in from over the front of the power steer pump you can see it
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:43 pm

yea you can do it in place, take injector pipes off and move wiring bit fiddly, just use normal black orings from your work out of oring kit boxes
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby MrRevhead » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:20 pm

Sweet, will have a crack.

Got the hub back on this evening all sweet. Don't you hate it when the simple jobs go pear shaped? :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 pm

Thats good, yeah nothing easy at times, at least injector pump somthing different for you, behind that plat is the cold start advance, is a piston and spring, can be alittle difficult to put it back together but is all good, Doesnt go ping when you nudo bolts though spring not that big haha
isuzurob
Global Moderator

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:38 pm

So the fuel leak seems to have mysteriously stopped. So I'm not touching it :P
I think the WOF guy sprayed some around to piss me off!

Been doing the body lift. Left the hand brake on when I jacked it up :roll: So it seems I've stretched the handbrake cable from the dash lever to the first lever by the starter. I'm such a dick sometimes :lol:

Tomorrow I need to pull the r/h front hub off and fix the horrendous squeal when 4wd is engaged. I think the needle roller bearing in the hub has rusted up a bit. So will replace that and the inner hub seal.
Hoping to have it drivable this week as I want to take it the engineers next week to get new bumper mounts and tow hooks mounted. I'd do it myself but I need it all done and hopefully certed by labour weekend and I don't have the time to do it all myself. I need a 9 day week with 5 day weekends!
Last edited by MrRevhead on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:37 pm

This will go again won't it? :lol:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WfAu ... 170205.jpg

Have made a post here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6438
Unsure of how to install new roller
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby slightlydodgy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:51 am

Repack it with lots of grease she'll be right :D
Tremble With Fear I've Just Had an Idea
slightlydodgy
Global Moderator

City: Opunake
Vehicle: Missing my 1990 2.6 petrol crew cab rodeo 50mm body lift, 45mm engine and box lift, heavy duty springs, 75mm suspension lift, 32 x 11.5 dueler mts and front bar and snorkel by slightlydodgy Currently Isuzuless

Postby MrRevhead » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:46 pm

So got the hubs etc all sorted. Good trip away down south, only real hitch was suddenly only having 2nd and 3rd/maybe 5th and no neutral! :o
Managed to get the remote housing off (50mm body lift FTW!!) and realign the selectors and all is good. Weird!

Looking for a clunk in the l/h front last night and found all the allen bolts on the hub have come loose and the locking hub was floating around! R/h side was just starting to come loose. I'd sealed them, and tightened them up before I left. Anyone had this happen before?
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby topgun94 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:05 pm

I had the same problem with both sides on the front of my MU. I took the hubs off completely cleaned and regressed every moving part (as part of maitenance). I then cleaned all the bolt holes and the Allen key head bolts off with brake cleaner. When reassembling I used high temp red permeatex on mating surfaces and a drop of thread locker on the Allen key head bolts. Been hitting the tracks with no worry at all since completing the above.
topgun94
Isuzu Senior

City: BRISBANE
Vehicle: 1991 ISUZU MU. 4JB1T, Boosted, Intercooled, MIG front locker, Rear LSD, Reduction Gears, Stock Height but 33" muds

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Well, I've thought long and hard..... I need a bigger motorcycle.
So: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7053

I'll miss it :cry: But I just don't get to use it like it should be used :o
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Previous

Return to Members Rigs