Postby MrRevhead » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:10 pm

Haven't looked at it again, still sitting in the shed lol
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

City: Nelson
Vehicle: 93 MU 2.8

Re: My %#$* MU

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:00 pm

I think I got about 3" out of all the blood sweat and tears. My god, why is everything so TIGHT on mine?!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-zbLK0EoZ-rs/UjU57ARIQHI/AAAAAAAAA0A/aF-rbVZ51yE/w1538-h865-no/20130915_110041.jpg

Will run it around for a couple of weeks before I set the front to match. Give things time to do any settling.
I got some 2nd hand Calmini arms for the front. But I won't put those on yet, will do with a ball joint flip.
The arms are a little worn and I'm going to have to get the bush holes machines out and sleeved. One is very oval :(
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Getafix wrote:
turnturn wrote:Quote "WTF is with the funny spline things on the bolts holding the spare tyre carrier?"It's just a 12 point drive hex fastener isn't it?

Quote "WTF is with the funny spline things on the bolts holding the spare tyre carrier?"It's just a 12 point drive hex fastener isn't it?

So any Ideas as how to get these off?
I have a bit of rust developing under the carrier and want to clean this up but need to remove the carrier first.

turnturn

Global Moderator

Single hex 9/16 socket gets them off good. Just took mine off. I'm going to replace with Allan head bolts.
I'm not worried about theft because
A: Where I live
B: with a tyre on there It'll be a right prick to get off
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:57 pm

#$#@ that hand brakes on these things :lol:
Need to adjust it again, it nearly visited the girl friends neighbours sans me :lol:

Actually got it muddy today. Took a look down one of the local rivers. Will go back with a mate and tow rope for more looking....

Yesterday I made a heat shield to go under the i/c to keep the turbo heat off it. I want to look into a intake manifold insulator as there seems to be masses of heat transferring to it from the head.
Also stuck some foam rubber strips to the i/c to seal it to the bonnet to get a bit more flow through it.
Will up load pics of my.... well, it's rough but works :P
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Bloody handbrakes goes waaaay out of adjustment every time I drive through a river!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:19 am

check your cables arnt sticking. The adjuster in the caliper should hold its adjustment but if worn they float and a sticky cable will cause the adjuster to back off. To get these hand brakes working everything has to be perfect. Also check the caliper slides are free
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:43 pm

3000km round South Island road trip completed! Even managed some off road stuff, although not as much as I hoped as one road was closed.
Lessons learned:

1: there isn't a lot of room in a MU when you take ya missus away for two weeks

2: Wear armour on arm when taking missus off road

3: Don't pull out to pass going up a hill in a MU. You just end up pulling back in behind and looking like a dick :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby stardog » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 pm

never had a problem overtaking on a hill in my mu right gear turbo spools up and away we go but then I do have a 3.1 not a 2.8 and a manual gearbox.
With the wife I leave her home no 5 star hotels where I go any way I couldn't fit all the suite cases in the back go away for 2 days at least 3 suite cases in the back no thanks.
I have a camper trailer as well but not flash enough for wife but it is heaven out in the bush for me fishing hunting and having a beer so relaxing hope the wife don't see this or else that's the end of that for me.
stardog
Isuzu Deity

City: sydney
Vehicle: 96 wizard 3.1 top mount intercooler bulbar winch snorkel 2" lift front diff lock aftermarket transmission cooler.

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Mines 2.8 manual. Goes well, our hills are bigger here ;)
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:53 am

use the gearbox and let it rev. My 2.8 bighorn is never afraid of overtaking. (auto wizard though needs to be asked nicely or it changes down too many gears and red lines then 5 seconds later realises it made a mistake changes up and overtaking complete)
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:10 pm

I guess I'm used to the Corolla and the missus MX5 :lol:
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:16 pm

In other news..... My rear springs :o

When I installed them I got a good lift from the saggy stock ones (they were rooted) But wasn't quite as high as I thought it would be.
I did wonder if they were a true 2" lift after I adjusted the front to match and didn't need to do a b/j flip.

Anyway whilst away doing 2500-3000ks on holiday I noticed the rear was sagging a bit :o :o
I measured it up back at work in the work shop and the rear has sagged 30 mm one side and 35 the other! :cry:
That puts me about 50mm higher than the stock sagged ones. Uh oh I thought, they have sent h/d standards not raised!
Spoke to them Friday and they gave me some measurements to check. Not happy about having to remove them but at least they are happy to sort it out (I did buy them March last year! but only fitted them a couple months ago)

Anyway now they have been in the truck for around 4000ks I have compared them side by side and they are very close dimensionally. The only real difference is an added leaf.
So no way are they 2" raised.

I'm going to tell them they need to send a free set of bushes or something to make up for it
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby geeves » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:37 pm

they shouldnt drop 30mm in 6 months. That says bad steel
geeves
Site Admin

2013 Subaru XV

Postby MrRevhead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Got a call from Bellamys, they confirmed it seems they made an error and have sent h/d stock height. So they are redoing the top 2 leaves and re tempering them
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:41 pm

So got the springs back, they had a lot more arch in them. Have fitted and run them around a bit, still not convinced it's 2" over stock, but who knows what stock was when these things were new? If they stay where they are and don't sag I'm happy. It's higher than all the stock MUs I've seen. And I can always extend the shackles for another inch. But I'll look at that when I do the body lift. Cert it all in one go.

Whipped off the front sway bar today. Haven't driven open road on anything really twisty yet, but I can't feel a difference. Until I took it to the river and loved the smoother ride on the river bed.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sat May 31, 2014 7:19 am

Well, they springs sagged a little, not much, but enough. It's higher than stock, but I doubt a 2" raise.
So I cannot recommend Bellamy and East for springs for these. At least they were cheap.

Only mod I've done recently has been the headlights. Ditched the pitiful sealed beam factory units for some Hella housings and plus 90 bulbs. LET THERE BE LIGHT! 8-)
Word of warning, do not buy the cheaper indian made housings some places offer. Despite supposedly being 2B1X inserts, they do not fit. The MU uses the rear housing to locate, the indian ones have a different shape housing menaing they flop up and down.

Hoping to buy a set of 32"s in the next month or so. Then it'll be 2" body lift time! Will also extend the shackles a little.
Have to take my Calmini arms to an engineer and see if they can sleeve the bushes as the holes have worn into an oval :?

Once I've done that I can finally join the 4wd club!
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:50 pm

Been looking for a decent EGT kit that isn't moon beams. Found these, few guys on ORE seem to love them:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=230

at about $125 delivered in NZ it's a bargain, considering anything of trademe at that price will only last 2 weeks. Trust me, I tired. Twice :roll:

The same unit will also do other functions, I think you can swap between two.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby isuzurob » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:12 pm

you can get them on trade me, mate has one in his surf and seems ok but he doesnt drive it much, i have auto meter cost more but last forever, never had an issue in the 5years they have been installed, and was around $270
isuzurob
Global Moderator

City: Taupo
Vehicle: 1990 Isuzu Bighorn 2.8t/d, 3" extended shackles, 2" body lift, 33" silverstone extreme tyres, Front+rear bars, winch with 40m dyneex rope, 21/2 inch exhaust, lokka's front+rear, custom turbo, emissions removed, injector pump modified and more

Postby MrRevhead » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:54 pm

For the price off trademe you would almost get two direct from the maker in the USA. I am thinking about 2, one EGT and a temp one.
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

Postby MrRevhead » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Failed WOF on B/J, easy.
Noted: Bad leak on fuel pump. Bugger. Can't see where it's coming from so have cleaned the area and will investigate. Not what I want the weekend before a road trip
MrRevhead
Isuzu Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Members Rigs