• Advertisement

Yakki's 2.8 LWB Frontera

Show us your Rig!

Yakki's 2.8 LWB Frontera

Postby yakki » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 am

Hi, I'm Chris and live in a small town called Pontypool in the South Wales valleys. Have owned my Frontera for just over 5 years and paid the huge sum of £250-. As you can probably guess for that kinda money it needed some work and was a little scruffy but it was my 1st 4x4 and I bought it to transport materials for an extension I was building on my house. Had no intention of using it for off roading it was purely a dump truck until my wifes brother took me up the mountains in it and I was hooked. Since then it has evolved as time and money has allowed.

Modifications and Accessories:

It is currently running the following spec

Body Lift: 3.25"

Rear Suspension: 4" lift in total using longer coil springs, +4" shocks, extended ARB links
Front Suspension: 3" lift in total with Calmini top arms, 12mm ball joint spacers, longer front shocks, front ARB removed and 35mm diff drop

Front Axle: 4.56 Isuzu Trooper axle fitted with automatic difflock and Aisin manual locking hubs
Rear Axle: 4.56 Isuzu Trooper axle fitted with automatic difflock

Engine: EGR system removed completely, minor tweak to the diesel pump, straight through exhaust, GM dual mass flywheel replaced with Trooper 3.1 solid flywheel

Wheels & Tyres: 8"x16" steel wheels with 1.25" offset, Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, 285/75x16 (just over 33") or Insa Turbo Special Track (Simex copies) 285/75x16 depending on where I'm going to play

Other Mods
Safari snorkel off a Toyota Hilus
Rear tubular bumper with swivel recovery points
Front heavy duty recovery points
Front arches and bumper cut back to clear the Special Tracks
Turbo boost gauge, Exhaust Gas Temp gauge and inclinometer fitted into a pod from a Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun
Toyota MR2 front seats
Fuel tank lifted up into chassis rails by approx 3.25"
CB
Dash mounted Android 10" tablet with GPS for navigation

Pictures

Have tried to embed them but the site complains that it is unable to determine the size even though they are sized within the forum limit for pictures, try the links instead

Clean

Dirty

YouTube Clip
yakki
Isuzu Baby

City: Pontypool
Vehicle: Vauxhall Frontera 2.8TDi LWB

Re: Yakki's 2.8 LWB Frontera

Postby Captcol » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:41 pm

That's quite high, can you post pics of your rear bumper, I am designing one atm
Captcol
Isuzu Guru

City: Whakatane
Vehicle: New to me 1996 Isuzu wizard with issues!

Postby geeves » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Very nice.
That sells here as a frontera if nz new but would have the 3.2 v6 petrol or a wizard which would have the 3.1 diesel. Both nearly always auto. To have the 2.8 and manual transmission makes this the perfect wagon.
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby yakki » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:18 am

Captcol wrote:That's quite high, can you post pics of your rear bumper, I am designing one atm

Hi, don't seem to have a good photo, this is the best I can find, will take some better ones tomorrow and post

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb29 ... 010_73.jpg
yakki
Isuzu Baby

Postby yakki » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:23 am

geeves wrote:Very nice.
That sells here as a frontera if nz new but would have the 3.2 v6 petrol or a wizard which would have the 3.1 diesel. Both nearly always auto. To have the 2.8 and manual transmission makes this the perfect wagon.

In the UK all Fronteras up to 1998 were manuals, the 2.8 was only made for a year before they went to a 2.5 diesel and is well regarded amongst Frontera owners
yakki
Isuzu Baby

Postby geeves » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:06 am

as long as you do the oil regularly and never blow a water hose the 4jb1 is indestructable. If the 2.5 is the 4ja1 its basicaly the same motor
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby yakki » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:08 am

Have also made a rear bumper out of box, have a look HERE for the photos
yakki
Isuzu Baby