• Advertisement

Claypots 92 Jackaroo 3.1

Show us your Rig!

Claypots 92 Jackaroo 3.1

Postby claypot75 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Description:
Here is my Holden Jackaroo from 1992 with the 3.1 diesel. I got it about 2 1/2 years ago off ebay. Looked real familiar so we had to check it out. Went a looked it over, found the owners manual, turns out it used to bd my old mans car! He bought it new in 1992 and kept it for 4 years and sold it. Thought nothing of it until i saw it on ebay. He paid something like 35-40k in 92 for it and sold it for the same 4 years later. I got it for 3k! Hehehe. It had 350k when i got it, now it has 400k on it.

She goes pretty much anywhere really, we try all the local stuff like toolangi, warburton, mt dissapointment and wombat sf. Also do plenty of trips up in the high country around Dargo, Walhalla and Licola. Also like going further afield to places like big desert and the otways. Looking to do a cape york trip next year with a return through the simpson desert.

Also would like to mention that it is part of a group feature in Australian 4wd Action magazine issue 199 due out late may 2013.

Modifications and Accessories:

Suspension: 2 1/2" custom heavy duty rear springs, standard torsion bars, ironman foam cell shocks, wide track front suspension conversion with heavy duty sterring arms
Body Lift: soon
Tyres/Wheels: 16x8 landcruiser 80 series aftermarket alloys with bfg km2's 255x85x16 (33")
Traction Aids: front arb air locker, factory rear lsd, indy4x reduction gears, front diff drop
Bullbar: arb widetrack steel bar with 12000lb winch with dyneema rope
Spot lights and Lighting: ipf spots
Communications/GPS: uniden uhf, hema hn5i, ipad running hema app
Dual Batteries: yes, modified a 3.0 second battery tray to suit big deep cycle 100ah wet cell. Projecta dual bat controller
Engine: 4jg2-t 3.1 intercooled turbo diesel
Exhaust: std for now
Sound system: jvc head unit running 4x100w amp and 2ch sub amp. 10" sub, 6.5" 3ways in front doors, 4" components in rear pillars
External: snorkle, roof rack with tray, foxwing awning, air outlet on bullbar, 2x4l air tanks in wings of bullbar, 2 arb compressors. One for air locker, one for air tanks. 60l auxillary fuel tank.
Internal: rear drawers, arb engel fridge, rear power, led strip lighting in the rear, roof net to keep gear dry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by claypot75 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claypot75
Isuzu Baby

City: Lilydale
Vehicle: 1992 Holden Jackaroo 3.0

Re: 92 Jackaroo 3.1

Postby turnturn » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:11 pm

Welcome.....good looking set up.
turnturn
Global Moderator

City: Dunedin
Vehicle: 1992 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1993 Isuzu Mu 2.8 Manual (UCS55)
Spare Parts/Donor
1994 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Snorkle, Intercooled
1996 Isuzu Mu 3.1 Manual (UCS69)
Completely Standard

Postby muzila » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Hey welcome aboard!

Dam thats a nice and impressive trucfk you got there mate!!!
muzila
Site Admin

City: Christchurch
Vehicle: 1991 2.8 TD Mu

Postby geeves » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:26 pm

nice truck. You will have to do a write up sometime on the widetrack conversion. Im leaning towards the 3 door version of the same truck as my next toy and that conversion will turn it into a giant killer
Sanding your knuckles before starting work can help. That way you cant skin them
geeves
Site Admin

City: Rangiora
Vehicle: 94 bighorn 4jg2
2013 Subaru XV

Postby claypot75 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks guys, i reckon shes pretty tops too.

As for the wide track conversion, i did a fair bit of research on planetisuzoo and came across a build on a "monster ifs trooper with 35's". This bloke has done pretty much all you can do with an ifs trooper/jackaroo whilst keeping it ifs.

Basically what i took from that write up was that you can only do the wide track conversion on 92 on jackaroos using parts from 2001 on wide track jackaroos. Parts list involves getting cv shafts, lower ball joints, upper control arms, brake lines and steering tie rods. This will get you the basic wide track conversion, and, if you have replaced your own cvs before, its pretty straight forward. Just remember to get a wheel alignment after the job is done.

Doing the job can be as quick as 2 hours per side if you have all the tools and know how, longer if you dont.

In addition to this you can add heavy duty steering arms and tie rod ends, upper ball joint spacers (while you are doing the bj flip)from independent4x.com. I have also done the front diff drop and arb air locker combo, and highly recommend doing this at the same time, as everything is in bits.

The second part to the wide track conversion is the raer axle. Here's where things stopped for me. I left the standard rear axle alone for the simple fact that my jack runs 4.55 gears. The wide track rear axle only comes with 4.3 or 4.1 geared diffs. So i decided that i'm not interested in pulling the front diff again to change the gearing to something i dont really want just to get the widetrack rear axle in. Works fine without the extra width at the rear anyway. The other issue with the widetrack axle is that arb dont do an air locker for it. My understanding is that you can retrofit a 3rd from a 98/99 non lsd in order to fit the arb airlocker for the 98/99 model. Again, if needed i can chuck the same locker in my existing diff and keep my 4.55's.

Also, i highly recommend installing the indy4x reduction gears. They have turned the jack into an absolute mountain goat!! It will go anywhere but with a lot less revs!
claypot75
Isuzu Baby

City: Lilydale
Vehicle: 1992 Holden Jackaroo 3.0

Return to Members Rigs